Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Rivian news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to decide between the R1T launch edition or Explore edition. The only feature on the launch edition I care about is the reinforced underbody and getting it sooner. OTH it might be wise to see how the launch edition does and let others work out some kinks. But the non logical brain wants it NOW!

From an aesthetics point of view, that green looks pretty good! On the other hand, "launch edition interior badging" sounds not good. In general I prefer interiors with minimal/no badging. I do not need to see symbols everywhere.

Reactions: ohmman
Digging through their web site I found this:

"Will additional roof options be available?
At launch, both the R1T and the R1S will be available with our all-glass panoramic roof. An open-air removable roof option will be offered mid-2022."

Waiting for the larger battery might also time well with getting a removable roof option. That would be fun! (just trying to talk my non logical brain into waiting)

Newsletter:

One year ago, we took two early R1Ts on a 13,000-mile, all-electric journey from the southernmost tip of Patagonia up to Los Angeles. We now get to share it with you.

“Long Way Up” premieres September 18th on Apple TV+.

I've enjoyed watching this series and it ends this week. Its not a great road trip story but pretty good. The electric motorcycles are more highlighted than the Rivians.

Sadly neither the Rivian or the Cybertruck are right for my needs. I want something at a minimum that fits in the garage. Don't need all out 4WD and prefer a more practical van shape than a macho truck.... Likely sadly will be purchasing an ICE till there is something that works that is electric. :eek:

If you've worked at startups, you know startups try out ideas and don't know if they'll sell or not. This rental auxiliary battery is most likely an experiment, like the Tesla battery swap stations. We'll see if it works out or it gets dropped.

Sadly neither the Rivian or the Cybertruck are right for my needs. I want something at a minimum that fits in the garage. Don't need all out 4WD and prefer a more practical van shape than a macho truck.... Likely sadly will be purchasing an ICE till there is something that works that is electric. :eek:

The Mercedes EQV is what you need. Sadly, it's Europe-only.

I've enjoyed watching this series and it ends this week. Its not a great road trip story but pretty good. The electric motorcycles are more highlighted than the Rivians.

I need something will handle desert terrain for dirt bike riding and can tow a car trailer safely when needed. Currently I use a GMC diesel pickup that is ready to retire.

Hopefully I can config my Rivian Launch Edition on Monday. Crossing my fingers. My wife will inherit the MX.

Pragmatically, a new gas/diesel pickup would be more logical, but I love the way electric powertrains behave. I'm not racing nationally anymore, so I don't need to drive to Kentucky/Florida/Missouri/Texas anymore. My normal EV duties are <100 miles a day, 150 miles tops, so for a daily driver it will be great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Owner
I've enjoyed watching this series and it ends this week. Its not a great road trip story but pretty good.
I've watched it, and have enjoyed parts of it, but even as a Rivian reservation holder I've been less enthusiastic about the show overall. Their lack of EV knowledge was so bad early on so as to be unbelievable to me. It felt like it was played up for production/dramatic reasons. Surely one of the manufacturers mentioned that they cannot charge in subzero temperatures, for instance. It left my head hurting.

The trip itself was beautiful and the cinematography is really enjoyable. I moved to putting it on in the background as I read something else. Impressive trip regardless, even with the tow charging and constant visits from the portable generator.