Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Rivian news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My email from Rivian ended up in my junkmail, here's what the actual invite says:

Our configurator is launching!

3fb8acc8-cbb6-428d-a17c-f3338ceae0bc.gif

Hi John,

Our configurator is launching Monday, November 16, for preorder holders. This is a full week before everyone else gets access.

In anticipation, we’re sharing more about our equipment packages, features, pricing and the Launch Edition — a special launch configuration with U.S. deliveries for the R1T starting in June 2021 and R1S in August 2021. Canadian deliveries begin in November 2021.

Thank you for being on this journey with us. We couldn’t be more grateful to be building a community of adventurous souls committed to leaving the planet better for our kids and our kids’ kids.

Time to Build - Rivian Stories

I've watched it, and have enjoyed parts of it, but even as a Rivian reservation holder I've been less enthusiastic about the show overall. Their lack of EV knowledge was so bad early on so as to be unbelievable to me. It felt like it was played up for production/dramatic reasons. Surely one of the manufacturers mentioned that they cannot charge in subzero temperatures, for instance. It left my head hurting.

The trip itself was beautiful and the cinematography is really enjoyable. I moved to putting it on in the background as I read something else. Impressive trip regardless, even with the tow charging and constant visits from the portable generator.

I guess for me I took the EV charging part as just newbies that were too lazy to do basic research. It was kind of fun watching a pre-production car.

The drama is a bit dull generally, and the sometimes silly antics isn't very interesting. It would have been more interesting if they explored the country more away from the road itself (people, sights). I almost enjoyed the production team scenes more than the some of the scenes with the actors.

The best part of the trip is really the scenery. So for me unlike most stuff on TV it is one to actually look at -- especially now that I finally upgraded a 20 year old TV. :)

I love nature and road trips. I don't think I would want to do this trip though. Or I would take a trip with more paved roads.

I need something will handle desert terrain for dirt bike riding and can tow a car trailer safely when needed. Currently I use a GMC diesel pickup that is ready to retire.

Hopefully I can config my Rivian Launch Edition on Monday. Crossing my fingers. My wife will inherit the MX.

Pragmatically, a new gas/diesel pickup would be more logical, but I love the way electric powertrains behave. I'm not racing nationally anymore, so I don't need to drive to Kentucky/Florida/Missouri/Texas anymore. My normal EV duties are <100 miles a day, 150 miles tops, so for a daily driver it will be great.

I want something for doing long road trips that are comfortable for boon docking. Don't expect to use 4WD but unpaved roads. Want to be able to carry paddle board, bike and sleep in the vehicle. -- not at the same time -- Having some storage, refrigerator, sink etc... is nice but not a requirement.

The reason for a van style is that it needs to be comfortable to be in the back. Sit up straight and move around. A SUV or truck shape just doesn't do that. Boondocking in a SUV is just a pain as there is a constant shuffle of gear around and sitting in the front seats is not relaxing....

Anyone else notice how complex the R1T's interior is? How many nooks and crannies there are to collect grime. For a vehicle meant to get used and get dirty, I think it will take quite a bit to have it any other way. What do others think?

r1t_experience_interior_desktop.jpg
r1t_experience_connected_car_desktop.jpg

Configured my truck. What was nice is I was able to go with the Explorer package and still get the underbody armor. And I was able to get The 400+ mile battery. Lastly I put in the expensive 5k kitchen. One way to think about it is by not getting cooled seals, better audio system, etc I was able to get the kitchen. I will have to wait to see if the kitchen is worth it. One last, but important note: small print said estimated price. So unlike Tesla, it appears configuring does not lock in the price at this stage.

R1Tconfigure.png

Thanks for setting my expectation for the 400+ pack at 20k so I could stomach the 10k it is priced at now. I wonder if that price will hold to 2022.
I was also pleasantly surprised. It would be a bad look if they suddenly changed it upward, so I feel relatively confident with our "all in" pricing at this point. As configured, it's a pretty good value for an EV pickup with ~180kWh of capacity. At least compared to what I've been spending with Tesla.

Seems like the Rivian R1T/S Launch edition launches in June 2021 at $75k/$77.5k with 300+ miles of range.

Then about 6 months later the R1T/S with 300+ miles of range for the same price.

CT will have 500+ miles for the same or less price (depending on when reserved) in late 2021.

So I'm seeing 200 more miles of range for the same price with CT. Sound right?

Seems like the Rivian R1T/S Launch edition launches in June 2021 at $75k/$77.5k with 300+ miles of range.

Then about 6 months later the R1T/S with 300+ miles of range for the same price.

CT will have 500+ miles for the same or less price (depending on when reserved) in late 2021.

So I'm seeing 200 more miles of range for the same price with CT. Sound right?
The one I reserved has 400+ miles of range (180kWh battery) for $79k. The base model (300+ miles) would have been $69k, as the larger battery was a $10k bump.

• Informative
Reactions: Discoducky
“In the new suit, Tesla called itself Rivian’s “number one target from which to acquire information,” and said that Rivian has hired 178 ex-Tesla employees, roughly 70 of whom joined Rivian directly from Tesla.”

This is good. Rivian got some of Tesla's least smart employees. Imagine the value of stock options they left on the table!

Culling the weakest members of the herd makes the herd stronger.

It says deliveries June 2021 for R1T and August 2021 for R1S.

I don't expect they will stockpile many weeks of production before they deliver them. It's not like they need to be aged or cured after manufacture. o_O

Apparently the prototypes don't have the power of the production vehicles. I hope this doesn't foretell major delays.

I want Rivian to do well but they are not inspiring confidence that they can hit their delivery targets or that the products will be as good as claimed.