Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Rivian news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it compare more to the Model X or Model Y? I was assuming the Y and the price would be close in that case. In fact, the Y compares favorably.

R1S is 3.7" longer and 1.3" wider than Model X. Third row will have much better sight lines than X. Y third row is a penalty box by comparison.

As a general rule a $49k-$61k vehicle will offer much better value than a $67k-75k vehicle.

R1S is 3.7" longer and 1.3" wider than Model X. Third row will have much better sight lines than X. Y third row is a penalty box by comparison.

As a general rule a $49k-$61k vehicle will offer much better value than a $67k-75k vehicle.
Rivian still has the $7,500 tax credit so it’s pretty much on par price wise as a model Y dual motor with FSD for the explore version. Far cheaper than model x.

Rivian still has the $7,500 tax credit so it’s pretty much on par price wise as a model Y dual motor with FSD for the explore version. Far cheaper than model x.

News could break of Tesla getting a $7k Fed Credit at any minute.

Elon could wack the price of a Model X back to the old prices. Once the last pre-refresh Model X buyers wouldn't complain bittery.

I don't think the two are very comparable.

Like I want a real off-road proven SUV, and the Y just isn't that. The Y is a street centric crossover that seems primarily aimed at people with kids who want something a bit bigger than the 3.

Where the Rivian is squarely going after people like me who want a true EV replacement for an off-road SUV.

My only issue with it is I prefer the Truck, but the Truck is too big.

I also really like the look of the new Defender, but I don't want to get an ICE car.

I'm going to play the wait and see game, but so far Rivian is on the top of my list.

Reactions: Ron_M3
Rivian's biggest market will be poseurs that want to be seen as a real off-road in the Nature person. But will never actually take it off road with the possible exception of a dirt road to a cabin/farmhouse.

But, that's 99% of SUV sales. :)

Neither the Truck or the SUV looks very poser like so I imagine the posers will go elsewhere.

But, that's 99% of SUV sales. :)

Neither the Truck or the SUV looks very poser like so I imagine the posers will go elsewhere.

1) True dat. That is why that will be Rivian's main market.

2)Poseurs love trucks that look 100% authentic. One of my sisters is 65 years old and never been off road in her life. 100% LA City Gal. 5 years ago she wanted a Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro 4x4 based on looks alone. I told her to keep the transmission 4x4 system properly lubricated the 4Runner needs to go off road at least once every 9 months per Toyota. IF you engage the 4x4 system on dray pavement it will eventually break. Finally convinced her to buy a front wheel drive Highlander. I told her much cheaper on gas and quieter smoother ride.

3) Unlike that 4Runner there is nothing about the Rivian that makes it unsuitable for suburb runs to school, the mall and supermarket. The only thing you can't do with the Rivian on road is tank turns.

Rivian's biggest market will be poseurs that want to be seen as a real off-road in the Nature person. But will never actually take it off road with the possible exception of a dirt road to a cabin/farmhouse.

Yup, just like range rovers or most SUVs. I hope my wife becomes one of these poseurs, an R1S and a model 3 performance would be the perfect garage. We’ll go for the 22” wheels to ensure poseur status.

• Funny
Reactions: HostileHarry
For me, the benefits of the Rivian are that it's not solely a "work truck" - that is, it has a bed but not sized at the expense of passenger space or made longer at the expense of a maneuverable (and garage-able) length - and that it's capable of towing plus minor off-road work. I'm not an off-roader "adventure" driver at all. However, we camp and hike a lot, and many of the best trails are accessed through beaten up, potholed dirt paths that are impassable with our Model X. We frequently have to park a ways out and hike in to the trailhead and it'll be nice to have something that can get us to trailhead parking.

However, I also do need a semi-capable truck for hauling mulch, compost, and gravel from the soil yard to my home. Additionally, I need to be able to make dump runs on occasion with yard waste from pruning my vineyard or general cleanup. This truck has a small bed, but it's large enough for these infrequent needs.

Rivian posted a video on loaning a R1T to a family in Wyoming for a day. Used it to go snowboarding in the mountains. Definitely some cheesy scenes with showing off unique features of the vehicle, but nice video to drum up excitement about the upcoming deliveries.

Reactions: MXLRplus
One of my neighbors just placed a preorder for the R1S. For someone wanting an electric SUV, the R1S is priced very well compared to Tesla.

Model Y performance = $62K (no FSD)
R1S = $70K (est.) minus $7,500 tax
Model X = $90K (no FSD)

Even if Tesla cars regain the tax credit, that’s still a good value relatively speaking.

I think the price becomes especially competitive when you compare it to similar form factors in the market, rather than other EVs. The 7 seat Range Rover and Infiniti QX80 both start at $69,500, the base Land Cruiser is $85,000. Rivian is appealing to a market of vehicle buyers that people interested in EVs haven't had access to yet, or had to compromise if they wanted to go EV, I think more than anyone else they'll be able to find a whole new segment of customers rather than carving into the current EV buyers.

Reactions: McMoo
I saw this poseur this past weekend. A jacked-up Taco seemingly going around in circles (two three-point left-hand turns) and slowing traffic.

monster_truck_poseur.jpg