Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Rivian news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I passed the Rivian SUV in the local mountains yesterday. It was boxy as compared to the more sculpted and streamlined typical SUVs that'll never see dirt.

Rivian_SUV.jpg

As oft said, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....Rivian is clearly copying Tesla's playbook.

FWIW: I put a down payment down on Rivian's R1S with that product as my probable longer term replacement for our X's (non-fix of shudder after 5+ years plus new seat's forward/non-adjustable headrests are driving me away). Lucid's future SUV is a possibility too (their sedan looks plush) but I'm not sure they are going to make it and right now they don't have a compelling charging network.

Audi's EV isn't big enough and their Technology/Nav package is downright awful.

Reactions: ohmman
I worry about the insurer and the manufacturer being the same entity, just as a matter of conflict of interest. But I do think manufacturers are going to have to go this route as they continue to deploy more extensive driver assistance features (Autopilot, etc.), because third party insurers may balk a bit at first. Not sure how that'll play out, but the Rivian statement that you get a premium discount for using their driver assistance function seems to work along those lines.

Reactions: BlindPass
I worry about the insurer and the manufacturer being the same entity, just as a matter of conflict of interest. But I do think manufacturers are going to have to go this route as they continue to deploy more extensive driver assistance features (Autopilot, etc.), because third party insurers may balk a bit at first. Not sure how that'll play out, but the Rivian statement that you get a premium discount for using their driver assistance function seems to work along those lines.
Rivian goes a step further than Tesla. They actually say that they will monitor your driving habits and give you discounts if you use the autopilot more often. I'll bet Rivian's AP doesn't allow you to go 88 MPH on freeways!

Check your emails, you have an appointment window!

HI MXLRplus,
More details on owning a Rivian

We appreciate having your support and commitment as we continue this journey together.
In preparation for deliveries, we’ve updated our website with new details on owning a Rivian — from ordering online and taking delivery at home, to a map of the locations for our network of fast chargers, the Rivian Adventure Network.
At the plant, we are working through validation and bringing up our production lines. We are focused on quality and consistency as we begin ramping up our volume week-by-week through spring and summer. Many of you have spotted our camouflaged development vehicles being tested across the US. With hundreds of vehicles in this test fleet across several build phases, these development vehicles help us ensure that you are extremely happy with what we ultimately deliver to you. Our confidence in your satisfaction is demonstrated in our 7-day, 1,000-mile return policy.
Delivery timing will be based on your original preorder date, plus two additional factors:
Where you take delivery
To provide the best ownership experience, our delivery schedule is synced with the growing coverage of our Rivian Service Centers, Mobile Service fleet and available charging infrastructure. Now is a good time to update your address in your Rivian Account.
What you configured
We will initially be building similarly configured vehicles grouped by paint color, interior package and option choices. Grouping vehicles this way helps us accelerate our ramp up and deliver as many vehicles to customers as possible.
A dedicated Rivian Guide will be assigned to every preorder holder. Guides will begin reaching out in May based on the above three factors, however, due to the large number of preorders, many of you won’t be in this initial cohort of outreach. We expect every Launch Edition preorder holder to meet their Guide by Thanksgiving. From that point forward, your Guide will be with you every step of the way — from purchase to delivery and beyond.
This summer, we will be kicking off a test drive program to get you behind the wheel and experiencing our vehicles firsthand. We will be giving Launch Edition preorder holders first access, helping you prepare for the adventures you’ll soon be taking. Our schedule and program details will be announced soon.
We look forward to meeting you soon and planning your delivery. Until then, you can find more on our online Support Center, including links to email, chat or call. Our team is available 8AM to 8PM CT. And please visit our updated website for more on our ownership experience.
Here’s to many adventures ahead.
— The Guides
Learn more about Purchasing, Charging, Service and Insurance
Visit our Experience site

As oft said, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....Rivian is clearly copying Tesla's playbook.

FWIW: I put a down payment down on Rivian's R1S with that product as my probable longer term replacement for our X's (non-fix of shudder after 5+ years plus new seat's forward/non-adjustable headrests are driving me away). Lucid's future SUV is a possibility too (their sedan looks plush) but I'm not sure they are going to make it and right now they don't have a compelling charging network.

Audi's EV isn't big enough and their Technology/Nav package is downright awful.
Audi’s EV is as big as the X, and CarPlay let’s you use whatever Nav you desire. FWIW.

Audi’s EV is as big as the X, and CarPlay let’s you use whatever Nav you desire. FWIW.
We have a 2021 Q7. Audi’s Nav is the worst I’ve ever owned.

I would never recommend the vehicle with CarPlay reducing information use to only middle screen view with big screen in front of driver & HUD providing no info. Also, You can’t engage with the screen unless vehicle is stopped and that’s useless if you need to investigate something.

only thing worthwhile is massage seats. their auto drive is crap. We will dump this soon.

btw: dealer delivered the car with no overview on functions.

We have a 2021 Q7. Audi’s Nav is the worst I’ve ever owned.

I would never recommend the vehicle with CarPlay reducing information use to only middle screen view with big screen in front of driver & HUD providing no info. Also, You can’t engage with the screen unless vehicle is stopped and that’s useless if you need to investigate something.

only thing worthwhile is massage seats. their auto drive is crap. We will dump this soon.

btw: dealer delivered the car with no overview on functions.

I tested the Audi prior to buying the MX.
The Audi does have advantages over the Tesla offerings, here's some that aren't listed above that I noted:
  • Foot gesture tailgate
  • AC seats
  • Blindspot mirrors
  • 360° view
  • AM radio
  • Spare tire
  • Unattractive from any angle
  • But #1 is low interior sound level and no body creaks.
I found the Audi lacking on acceleration, overly complex controls, and none of the Audis at the dealer I visited had the tow option, and I was told it must be put in at the factory.

The tow option and acceleration were deal breakers since I was replacing a truck with a new MX.
Now that I have been using the MX for work for 20,000 miles, I realize that it was not a great choice for a work truck.

Reactions: BlindPass