Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Tesla Motors-Related News (Feel Free To Post Here)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla 70D is OUT! Price starts from HK$619k

And no, this isn't champagne gold Model S
Capture.PNG

Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

I can see a cut out in the paper meaning that anyone can flip the sign anytime (without unplugging)?

You can also flip the "Do Not Disturb" signs to "Make up room" in hotels - which would have a quite dramatic effect as they more or less mean the opposite.

For all my hotel stays, I haven't tried that yet.

I can't see why someone should change the sign, other than for vandalism?

For myself, I have made two laminated cards, one for "can unplug after" and the other with "I estimate to be back by" ...

Download it here: Contact Sheet

For Hong Kong only - more info in post #560 below

With a whiteboard marker, I can use those signs again and again. As they are placed inside the window, close to the charging plug, you can easily see them, yet to alter the message, you would have to break the window.

Tesla EV charged.hk done charging sign_car.JPG

(The spelling mistake in the Chinese text is corrected in the download version, I just didn't bother to print new pages)

Last edited:
Superb, DITB. Does your QR code link to your email address or else? Any convenient way to make one for myself while not disclosing too many personal details?

BTW, I m a to-be MS owner. Thanks for your advice.

The QR code links to the new charged.hk messaging system. It allows for anonymous SMS messaging between owners, and is primarily intended for contacting charged.hk members at public charging facilities.

Ummm. how one can un-plug if the owner with the key fob is not around (assume the car is locked). or do someone need to call the owner and owner unlock it from phone apps ?

The cable has two ends. One is usually locked into the car, the other end can sometimes be locked, sometimes not (depends on the charger installation). For those charging stations where you can unplug, it is sometimes possible for another EV to reach that cable, even when not in the charging spot, but one next to it. Personally, I have a thick 100+ foot extension cable (for 13A only), so I can be about 20 spots away from a charging spot and still use it.

If I can see my car will be done charging around 6 pm, I don't mind if someone arriving after that time unplugs the cable to charger their own car.

When someone arrives to find all charging spots in use (or ICEd), they can see on my sign when I plan to be back. Maybe I am coming any minute, and if in doubt, they can send me a message. Maybe I am early? Maybe I am nearby, and can go to the spot in a few minutes to move my car?

It's all about being considerate to other EV owners.

In 5 to 10 years when parking lots are crammed with chargers, we will look back and laugh at discussions like these.

"Remember back when we had so few charging stations that we had to make signs to show when we were back? And interrupt the middle of a movie or dinner, just to move the car to a non-charging spot? Can't imagine how we put up with it back then, now that chargers are everywhere"

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't use much time to cater for design details, just wanted something that worked here and now.

FOR HONG KONG ONLY!

You can download the two pages above, including guidance how to use it:

Contact Sheet

Be aware that the MESSAGING FUNCTION will NOT work for cars that are NOT registered in Charged.hk!

If for some reason you choose not to be a charged.hk member, you can still use the document, just cut it off below the time-table.

You can sign up as free as well as paying member on charged.hk

It's highly recommended, you will help us support the EV charging infrastructure, and many more EV and clean air related aspects in Hong Kong. The more members we are, the more we are taken serious. Having said that, we are already being taken so serious that we recently attended a conference about EVs in HK at government level by special invitation. A briefing about it will be emailed to all members in a few days, so be sure to sign up NOW to hear more about it!

If you choose the free option ("Associate member"), then your sent messages will be limited to emails, while you can receive both SMS and email notifications. Paying members are able to both send and receive SMS messages, and it's all anonymous! That means that the two parties of an SMS exchange won't know each others SMS/email addresses, as it goes via the Charged.hk server. We (in Charged.hk) "do know who you are" so abuse will not be tolerated, obviously. Please be polite and orderly, as markwj wrote, it's meant to communicate about the availability of EV charging spots.

Note that the linked PDF above is the generic QRCode, where you have to enter the registration of the car you are scanning.

Once a member of Charged.hk, you can download your personal QRcode which you can substitute into the document - that way, someone who wants to contact you don't even need to bother to enter your car plate registration.

(that is the reason I blackened the code out in the picture above!)

To make your own custom version (with your own QRcode or other changes), you can use these downloads instead:

OS X Pages version (original)

docx Word version (export from Pages, might need some reformatting to fit!)

Last edited: