Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Tesla Updates-Brakes next?

Will Tesla add the Carbon Ceramic brakes as standard to the Plaid in the next few months?

• Yes

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 64.0%
  • Yes and I will be mad/sad

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Yes and I know this is just the way Tesla rolls even if costs me $20k to upgrade

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not trying to start a rant, but I am curious how many people want to take bets that the "new" carbon ceramic brakes will start to appear on the Plaid Model S? I think it is very strange that for the first time in Model S history, the same brakes are on the standard and performance car. Now with the fastest, most powerful S, they use the same brakes? Not even cool red calipers. I do not track my car, but carbon ceramics look amazing. I am going to start a poll just for fun. I understand missing the tilting screen and lights, but if they "throw in" the carbon ceramics I will be sad/mad, lol.:confused:

Model S Plaid Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit

Haven’t the brakes always been exactly the same?

Painting them red doesn’t count as being different.

I find it highly unlikely that Tesla will start including $20k brakes as standard fare when 99% of people will never use/need them.
Yes the brakes were always the same, the red caliper paint was just that, red paint, the actual brakes were identical

I too do not see Tesla throwing in 20k brakes free of charge, especially when they just recently removed a 400 dollar part to save mone… I mean because people weren’t using it.

I am not trying to start a rant, but I am curious how many people want to take bets that the "new" carbon ceramic brakes will start to appear on the Plaid Model S? I think it is very strange that for the first time in Model S history, the same brakes are on the standard and performance car. Now with the fastest, most powerful S, they use the same brakes? Not even cool red calipers. I do not track my car, but carbon ceramics look amazing. I am going to start a poll just for fun. I understand missing the tilting screen and lights, but if they "throw in" the carbon ceramics I will be sad/mad, lol.:confused:

Considering the new brakes also require the 21" rims, it would add another 4,5000 option. The performance and range with the 21" rims is also reduced, so offering the brakes as an option for the people who want to track the car makes much more sense.

Nope, not going to happen. ;)

More likely is the introduction of the new tire and wheel track package in addition to the carbon-ceramic brakes... all at additional cost.

Both are high-performance cars and the only difference is in how fast they get fast. Both need the same braking capacity to stop. No way they push these on Plaid buyers.

The paint color is simply a badge indicating the performance of the drive-train.

Speed, and the energy/heat that needs to get dissipated, are an exponential thing.

Plaid gets to speed faster which means it gets there more often. It also gets to higher speeds. Plaid should have better brakes than the LR.

No, the brakes are not the disaster that some have wrung themselves into a panic over. But they can and should be better.

The $20k ceramic package isn’t the answer though. Too expensive and for 99.9% of people it’s unnecessary.

About 2 months ago I attended the 2 day driving course at Radford Racing in Arizona, which uses Hell cats exclusively. We spent most of the first morning learning how to stop the 4586 lb Dodge Hell cat in shorter and shorter distances including learning to steer the car while anti-lock brakes were actively engaged. Finally we were all able to stop the car in the advertised 107 feet from 60-0. After the course I took my plaid on the same track and surprised myself by being able to stop in the advertised 104 feet. (Special thanks to the guys at Radford for being so accommodating).

So, I do NOT feel like I need to buy the Unplugged Performance $10,000 front only CCB brake package IF I am concerned about an emergency stop ONCE on the freeway to save my life. Believe me, the Plaid WILL stop. (Special thanks to the kind and helpful guys at Unplugged Performance).

However, I am convinced that brake fade is a huge problem and I would NEVER track the car without either the Unplugged Performance $10,000 front only CCB for a moderate track racer, or the full $20,000 Tesla front and back CCB brakes for a serious track racer. After racing the hell cats at the Maricopa track for 2 days I am convinced the Tesla brakes would overheat and you will die.

Reactions: ucmndd
About 2 months ago I attended the 2 day driving course at Radford Racing in Arizona, which uses Hell cats exclusively. We spent most of the first morning learning how to stop the 4586 lb Dodge Hell cat in shorter and shorter distances including learning to steer the car while anti-lock brakes were actively engaged. Finally we were all able to stop the car in the advertised 107 feet from 60-0. After the course I took my plaid on the same track and surprised myself by being able to stop in the advertised 104 feet. (Special thanks to the guys at Radford for being so accommodating).

So, I do NOT feel like I need to buy the Unplugged Performance $10,000 front only CCB brake package IF I am concerned about an emergency stop ONCE on the freeway to save my life. Believe me, the Plaid WILL stop. (Special thanks to the kind and helpful guys at Unplugged Performance).

However, I am convinced that brake fade is a huge problem and I would NEVER track the car without either the Unplugged Performance $10,000 front only CCB for a moderate track racer, or the full $20,000 Tesla front and back CCB brakes for a serious track racer. After racing the hell cats at the Maricopa track for 2 days I am convinced the Tesla brakes would overheat and you will die.
Well put and something that few people understand unless they’ve been on a track.

CCBs do almost nothing to improve performance for a single full-force braking event. It’s the third, fourth, fifth in rapid succession where they make a difference.

But on the other hand, you know, Plaid gets to speed faster which means it gets there more often…. 😂

Well put and something that few people understand unless they’ve been on a track.

CCBs do almost nothing to improve performance for a single full-force braking event. It’s the third, fourth, fifth in rapid succession where they make a difference.

But on the other hand, you know, Plaid gets to speed faster which means it gets there more often…. 😂
Come on. Think it through. You can do it :)

Btw I’ve been instructing track driving for over 20 years.

If you don’t get it, ask a cogent question and I’ll help you.

Reactions: ICUDoc
No. I stated a fact in support of explaining something else.

When someone has a lazy or rude response to a fact, I’ll explain it if asked (politely). If not, I encourage them to figure it out or get educated.
“Plaid gets to speed faster which means it gets there more often.”

That is not an indisputable fact. It seems pretty dumb no matter how one “thinks it through”. It’s nice to know how you think of the issue but I suspect you persuaded no one that your “fact” is correct.

(No dispute that those who brake heavily at 200 mph speeds might want performance brakes but I’d advise that those who do that at 150 may have essentially the same need.)

On any given track the straights are only so long. Two cars that are identical, except for power, will reach different speeds on each straight.

Now let’s say those identical cars have the same brakes and those brakes can only handle repeated stops from 75mph.

The more powerful car will reach speeds over 75mph in far more places around the track than the less powerful car.

This is literally the situation and difference between the LR and Plaid. The plaid gets to higher speeds than the LR and it will get to speeds over the threshold of the brakes more often.

Dumb enough?

Reactions: TheMarsMan