Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest update 10.4 camera sees everything

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just updated an AP1 to 10.4 and now the camera seems to be catching speed signs on cross roadways that are slightly tilted. Screenshot_20180320-093612.png

Slams on the brakes when going 50 down to 25. I got a pic as I passes but the sign is meant for the cross traffic. It's 50 going my way. You can't see the 25 until the last monminbut the cameras on AP1 are picking it up.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
That seems like a really odd location to place a speed limit sign. What is its purpose, to let the driver know what speed they should have been driving before stopping or yielding at the intersection?
Like in Spain.

For some reason, driving off the highway there is like 100, then 70, then 50, then 30 sign, then a traffic light intersection. Bureaucracy on its best, gov like: "Bet people won't understand the speed reduction curve before that intersection, better waste a billion government money on buying a million redundant signs for the off-ramps".

One of the many things I liked about my AP1 S was its ability to read speed limit signs. So every time a new firmware update gets to my AP2 S one of the first things I do is drive around looking to see if the car is reading those signs. I'm running 2018.10.4 now but as far as I can tell it is not reading those signs.

OP's post above seems to indicate their car is reading signs. Anyone else with 2018.10.4 on AP 2 seeing this?

One of the many things I liked about my AP1 S was its ability to read speed limit signs. So every time a new firmware update gets to my AP2 S one of the first things I do is drive around looking to see if the car is reading those signs. I'm running 2018.10.4 now but as far as I can tell it is not reading those signs.

OP's post above seems to indicate their car is reading signs. Anyone else with 2018.10.4 on AP 2 seeing this?

OP's car is AP1. AP2 does not read signs. It will be a big deal when it does and everyone will be talking about it.

Camera is now sensing vehicles on the side and in the road and moving over!

Very cool video.

As I recall, AP1 used to do exactly that - someone posted a video of the car avoiding a work truck whilst merging onto a freeway.

The phantom braking with this update is problematic - requiring intervention to avoid getting rear-ended, but the longer forward view reaction - even to stopped traffic, which makes me wonder about radar calibration - is great.

Wondering about the seeing 2 cars in front - another AP1 feature not seemingly present in AP2. Seeing any vestige of that by any chance?

OP's car is AP1. AP2 does not read signs. It will be a big deal when it does and everyone will be talking about it.

Absolutely. Especially if they correct and retain the AP2 speed limit data source, which would produce a quasi-redundant solution better than either AP1 or AP2 does today.

Example: Freeway driving with large truck between your car and the next speed limit sign or signs.

Very cool video.

As I recall, AP1 used to do exactly that - someone posted a video of the car avoiding a work truck whilst merging onto a freeway.

The phantom braking with this update is problematic - requiring intervention to avoid getting rear-ended, but the longer forward view reaction - even to stopped traffic, which makes me wonder about radar calibration - is great.

Wondering about the seeing 2 cars in front - another AP1 feature not seemingly present in AP2. Seeing any vestige of that by any chance?
My ap2 is seeing more than one vehicle, just not in different lanes and even though I suspect it “knows” the difference, it shows everything as a car. After 10.4 ap2 wants to take exits and flashes warning take over notifications, kinda like ap1 did back in the day. Ap1 and ap2 are getting super close in terms of performance and each update makes ap1 get better, and ap2 catch up a little faster. And ap1 is reading signs and road lines (dash and solid) when determining speed and lane change. Ap2 seems to be going off map data.

My ap2 is seeing more than one vehicle, just not in different lanes and even though I suspect it “knows” the difference, it shows everything as a car. After 10.4 ap2 wants to take exits and flashes warning take over notifications, kinda like ap1 did back in the day. Ap1 and ap2 are getting super close in terms of performance and each update makes ap1 get better, and ap2 catch up a little faster. And ap1 is reading signs and road lines (dash and solid) when determining speed and lane change. Ap2 seems to be going off map data.

I’ve been getting an unusually high number of the flashing “take over now” warnings as well. Those and the increased phantom braking episodes are not going over well with passengers.

As part of current AP2 performance, I’d call those significant regressions.

If those are ignored and one considers just the use cases wherein there is any improvement, such as managing rises and distance better, then yeah, AP2 is getting better.

But taken as a whole? For me this release’s (*.10.4) overall performance has been one step forward and one step back.

It feels as though the table is set, the appetizers have been served, nobody’s died of food poisoning yet, and the main course is due any moment. With FSD for dessert :).

• Love
Reactions: fasteddie7