Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you run a software update? Or do you have to wait until it has downloaded and then it will notify you?

When the Mothership has decided your car is due for an update it’ll download automatically. All you can do is make sure the car is on WiFi as updates are sent to cars on WiFi first - but only after your car has already been selected.

One of the great unsolved mysteries of Tesla ownership is the random nature of updates. You can be bang up to date one minute and the next you could be one of the last, or not even get the update - they aren’t all for all cars.

I was actually really surprised when I collected today. Car on latest software, clean, only 2 minor misalignments which were fixed in a few minutes, free supercharge miles in a loot box, right spec, and everything!

Reactions: DJP31
I notice you can select software update as a topic in the schedule service option on the app. Maybe that will speed things along?

I’m pretty sure all that does is trigger a response saying your car is on the latest version for your particular car. If you are a long way behind the pace they can check the car for errors, as these will stop updates from happening.

I wonder if the whole rollout process is improving ... more cars, bigger servers, more ability to push out updates en masse

Clearly Microsoft / Apple / et al have figured out how to push updates to huge numbers of devices, there will have been a similar pivot-point for Tesla too.

For me the mass rollout of V10 will be a good indicator of whether things have improved, or are still a bit hand-to-mouth.

My arrival at a service centre seemed to trigger 2019.32.2.2. It's my second update and I've only had the car 6 weeks. I got it with 2019.15 I think. Small things each time. Neither of these updates changed enough that in your shoes I'd do anything other than just wait til it turns up.

I really wanted the update because I had a screen freeze yesterday and was hoping the latest update might have sorted this bug. Looking online, this seemed to have been happening for lots of cars around April/ May time, so my thinking was that I was still on that version.

I had a screen freeze yesterday and was hoping the latest update might have sorted this bug.

Reboot might help. Personally I think a prophetic reboot is probably worth doing.

I'm not sure of what the correct foot-on-brake requirement is (for a supposedly "deeper reboot"), perhaps someone else knows? but what I do is:

Foot on brake
Press and hold both scroll-wheels until main screen goes blank
Keep foot on brake until "T" symbol appears

Same again, but with the other two steering-wheel buttons (Model-S in my case, this is for the instrument cluster reboot)

I do that once-a-week, when i remember, and always after a software update. Presumably software update does do a reboot, but I have had post-install issues which were solved by reboot, so perhaps there are instances where "after new update install, reboot, and then some further "chugging" a further reboot is beneficial.

Reboot might help. Personally I think a prophetic reboot is probably worth doing.

I'm not sure of what the correct foot-on-brake requirement is (for a supposedly "deeper reboot"), perhaps someone else knows? but what I do is:

Foot on brake
Press and hold both scroll-wheels until main screen goes blank
Keep foot on brake until "T" symbol appears

Same again, but with the other two steering-wheel buttons (Model-S in my case, this is for the instrument cluster reboot)

I do that once-a-week, when i remember, and always after a software update. Presumably software update does do a reboot, but I have had post-install issues which were solved by reboot, so perhaps there are instances where "after new update install, reboot, and then some further "chugging" a further reboot is beneficial.

Service centre told me that on newer S/Xs the two screens are no longer independent in this way so they reboot together. This was explanation as to why my partner got a scare when the whole lot went blank on the motorway on her first long drive in the car.

Is "service - power off" a deeper reboot than the brake and buttons/scroll wheels thing? I understood it was from some online research. Any disadvantage to doing that instead?

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Is "service - power off" a deeper reboot than the brake and buttons/scroll wheels thing? I understood it was from some online research. Any disadvantage to doing that instead?

Apparently it is a deeper reboot and the only disadvantage is it takes a bit longer. The instructions I follow on the very odd occasion I've felt the need to do it are:

Sit in driver’s seat. In park with all doors closed.
Menu, Safety & Security page. Power Off button. (or on some older cars, service menu, power off).
Wait about 60 seconds for the interior lights to go out.
Wait 30 seconds more to be safe.
Press brake pedal.
Wait about 30 seconds whilst everything boots up (you may see odd error messages for a few seconds).
Done.

Reactions: Roy W.