Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest updates and range loss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just looking at my usable battery capacity on scan my Tesla (I note the capacity every 1000 miles) and I noticed that the day after I updated to 2022.12.3.1 my usable battery capacity did a large step change down from 75.9 kWh to 71.3 kWh (loss of around 14 miles of range on Teslafi battery report). This is not weather related, it had dipped down to a low of 75.4 mid winter and had actually trended up a bit since spring... anyone else have this happen or is it just a coincidence?

Keith

Try a manual calculation:

1. On the energy screen, set the display to average and then multiply the average consumption by predicted range and then divide by 1,000 (note it does not matter if you set 5, 15, or 30 miles). This should give you your current battery capacity in kWh.
  2. Now divide that number by the SOC percentage e.g. for 80% divide by .8 - this should give you your usable battery capacity.

How does that compare with Teslafi’s report?

I was just looking at my usable battery capacity on scan my Tesla (I note the capacity every 1000 miles) and I noticed that the day after I updated to 2022.12.3.1 my usable battery capacity did a large step change down from 75.9 kWh to 71.3 kWh (loss of around 14 miles of range on Teslafi battery report). This is not weather related, it had dipped down to a low of 75.4 mid winter and had actually trended up a bit since spring... anyone else have this happen or is it just a coincidence?

Keith

In 2019, an update took range away from some MS cars, mostly with the so called 85 packs.

It did this by capping the HV pack VPC from 4.2 to something like 4.15 VPC.

There was a lawsuit, and the recent settlement restored some capacity for most.

I'd check and see what the max VPC is at near 100% SoC, using a app like SMT.