Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest version of software for AP1 = UGH!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears after my last download that they have limited the speed to the posted speed limit wherever you may be. This makes hwy trips a bit more cumbersome as I normally set it about 8 MPH above the speed limit. Thoughts on the latest revision? Me no like, Ty

It appears after my last download that they have limited the speed to the posted speed limit wherever you may be.Ty

For full AP(TACC and autosteer):

On non-interstate (undivided highways under 55 mph) the limit is 5mph over the speed limit. But you need to set the offset to +5 in the controls under SETTINGS>DRIVER ASSISTANCE>SPEED LIMIT OFFSET.

For over 55 mph on interstate there is no limit on AP speed up to ~90mph.

• Helpful
Reactions: Max*
It appears after my last download that they have limited the speed to the posted speed limit wherever you may be. This makes hwy trips a bit more cumbersome as I normally set it about 8 MPH above the speed limit. Thoughts on the latest revision? Me no like, Ty
Can you please state which firmware version you were on previously, and what version you are on now? Thank you...

Reactions: BerTX
This is only on undivided highways, correct?

It has been +5mph for a long time on undivided highways (except when they tried to push it to +0, and then backed off back to +5).

Nope, I can go +5 over any speed limit on any highway if not Interstate. I can go at least 90 on Interstate on autopilot. Haven't tried any faster.
I'm on version 17.4.14

Nope, I can go +5 over any speed limit on any highway if not Interstate. I can go at least 90 on Interstate on autopilot. Haven't tried any faster.
I'm on version 17.4.14
:confused: You say no, but it sounds like you're agreeing with me?

The +5mph limit is only on undivided highways.
There is no +xmph on other roads.

And it's "at most" 90, not "at least", because if hit the accelerator and go 91mph, AP kicks you out and locks you out until you pull over.

I havent had an update in ages it seems. Im on 2.50.114. Will see how up to date that is.

If they dont allow exceeding the ridiculously low posted limits w autopilot on divided highways in a future update, I flat out wont use it and will get rid of the car.

In fairness, AP is much more than just the upper limit governor and I do hope that Tesla raise this +5 limit in the future. In Canada, we are limited to +5KPH which is much slower than +5MPH even.

The AP performance on lane-keeping and coping with faint lane markers seems to be better. The acceleration rate when a car in front moves off your lane is also better.

Where I would love to see more improvement are the turns. On highways (and any street), can the speed controls and lane position not be improved to mimic more human-like behaviour? For example when I am tracking a sweeping right hand turn on the highway, depending on the radius of the turn, I slow down a little coming into the turn. I don't accelerate until I am past the apex of the turn. I also hug the right side of the lane a little bit (if there are no cars to my right). I often become a little wary when there is a car on my left while making a sweeping right and AP tracks my car in the middle of my lane. Meanwhile, the car on the left that is turning with me wants to hug the right side of the left lane (if that makes any sense). The result is closer proximity to the cars and less time for me to interject if the AP starts misbehaving.

Despite the attention on getting AP2 at parity and better, I do hope that Tesla continue to refine AP1 to match it's hardware capabilities and not just leave us with an under-promised product.