Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest version of the 1st stage transport vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On that video of the used Falcon you can really see the beating those grid fins take... it will be interesting to see how the switch to titanium for those works out. With the soot, you can see the outline of the "panel" they attach too... I almost wonder if that was replaced as part of the refurbishment.

Speaking of soot.. I wonder why the lower section is relatively evenly covered, only to abruptly stop at the seam to the middle section?

This is a common question so I've heard knowledgeable people answer it before. So here is a picture of the interior of a F9:
spacexs-falcon-9-reusable-launch-vehicle-14-638.jpg

If you look at this picture you can see that the soot ends exactly at the spot where the LOX tank begins. So what is happening is that there is a section of condensation built up where the LOX tank is and the soot can't build up there. Since the supercooled LOX is pooling near the base you can also see that the further away from the bottom of the LOX tank that there is gradual build up toward the top of the tank.

I hope that stage is still there tomorrow by noon, I plan to make a visit to the Hawthorne Supercharger. I live in Nor. Cal. and will be on my way home, rarely get a chance to visit that location.
I am at the Hawthorne supercharger now. Arrived at 10:40 and the stage that was parked on the street is gone. Too bad. But had fun seeing the landed stage on display.

Reactions: Grendal and e-FTW
I read before that one of the two fairings have been recovered.
(see all the way to the top, about the size of a yellow school bus)

I cannot find too much information about it.
- Does the fairings get ejected before the orbital phase?
Yes, the fairing is separated after the vehicle is above the atmosphere and the payload no longer needs the protection. Generally it's just after stage separation and the second stage burn starts. You want to drop any excess mass ASAP, otherwise it will cost propellant to push the extra mass up hill. Satellite launches have failed due to fairings that did not separate from the launch vehicle and the extra mass caused the stage accelerate slower and run out of propellant before orbital velocity was achieved.
- Is there any retro-rocket or parachute used to provide recuperation?
I have read that there are small thrusters that have been installed for attitude control and a parachute for the final decent.

This thread over at NSF is probably one of the best places to read more about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal
Yes, the fairing is separated after the vehicle is above the atmosphere and the payload no longer needs the protection. Generally it's just after stage separation and the second stage burn starts. You want to drop any excess mass ASAP, otherwise it will cost propellant to push the extra mass up hill. Satellite launches have failed due to fairings that did not separate from the launch vehicle and the extra mass caused the stage accelerate slower and run out of propellant before orbital velocity was achieved.

I have read that there are small thrusters that have been installed for attitude control and a parachute for the final decent.

This thread over at NSF is probably one of the best places to read more about it.
In the last post-launch briefing after the last launch (which was the first one that they attempted to recover the fairing), Elon specifically mentioned a "steerable" parachute.

Last edited:
I have read that there are small thrusters that have been installed for attitude control and a parachute
for the final decent. This thread over at NSF is probably one of the best places to read more about it.
In the last post-launch briefing after the last launch (which was the first one that they attempted
to recover the fairing), Elon specifically mentioned a "steerable" parachute.

- I wonder if landing over the ocean, with a traditional dome parachute
and additional self-inflated balloons to avoid sinking would be a possibility?

But landing over inhabited land then would not be possible because
the cross wind would make difficulty to guaranty landing in a safe location.

Also some padding would be needed to absorb the vertical impact,
and possible horizontal drag which could both damage the fairing.

- Using a ram-air parachute (shaped like a wing) would allow landing over land,
as this provides gliding and steering. This is used for personnel but I don't know
if this has been tested for delivery of marchandise?

- Another possibility would be to use helicopters to capture the fairings, such as the following case:

Sky Capture: How NASA Will Bring Genesis Down to Earth
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzAwMC82MjUvb3JpZ2luYWwvaF9nZW5lc2lzX2NhcHR1cmVfMDIuanBn

Back to original topic:

Here's the "sales brochure ". I think they have previously used the payload canister transporter, which is painted white. http://www.nasa-klass.com/Curriculum/Get_Oriented 2/KSC Facilities/RDG_KSC-Facilities-Additional/How KSC Transports.pdf

Orbiter Transporter System
Engine ......................335 hp, V12, air cooled
Weight Empty ......................167,000 pounds
Weight Gross ......................327,000 pounds
Speed Unloaded ................................13 mph
Max. Speed Loaded ............................5 mph

Replacing that engine with electric motor and batteries would be easy!

Power = speed*force = speed*torque/wheel size, so 335 hp is enough.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo