Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest version of the 1st stage transport vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is that jet thing with wings at 1:35 minutes?
It's a Navaho cruise missile and it's booster. It's looking a little better than it did last October after Hurricane Matthew...
011.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
76-wheel Orbiter Transporter System (OTS)

I wonder what kind of engine and transmission is used?
Is it an All Wheel Drive system?

Not knowing anything, but probably the main ICE engine
drives a pump to generate high pressure oil,
and an high pressure oil engine run separately each wheel.

Which also might allow steering by increasing the flow to the outside wheels?

How far does it have to go? It might actually be easier to just drag a giant extension cord around.

I have pictures of a team of people dragging the extension cord from building to building as the transporter drives by, connecting to an outlet at each building as they go :)

To make it work well, you'd have 2 or 3 extension cords and teams, with 1 cord being used, and the next team laying out the cord to a point where the current cord will reach it's limit and need to be replaced.

So now you have leap frogging teams of extension cord draggers.

Sometimes, I have crazy thoughts.

I have pictures of a team of people dragging the extension cord from building to building as the transporter drives by, connecting to an outlet at each building as they go :)

To make it work well, you'd have 2 or 3 extension cords and teams, with 1 cord being used, and the next team laying out the cord to a point where the current cord will reach it's limit and need to be replaced.

So now you have leap frogging teams of extension cord draggers.

Sometimes, I have crazy thoughts.

Me too. :) When I heard the extension cord comment, I thought about how much power would be needed and pictured the carrier having a whole transformer strapped onto it and an electrical substation along the route.

On that video of the used Falcon you can really see the beating those grid fins take... it will be interesting to see how the switch to titanium for those works out. With the soot, you can see the outline of the "panel" they attach too... I almost wonder if that was replaced as part of the refurbishment.

Speaking of soot.. I wonder why the lower section is relatively evenly covered, only to abruptly stop at the seam to the middle section?

On that video of the used Falcon you can really see the beating those grid fins take... it will be interesting to see how the switch to titanium for those works out. With the soot, you can see the outline of the "panel" they attach too... I almost wonder if that was replaced as part of the refurbishment.

Speaking of soot.. I wonder why the lower section is relatively evenly covered, only to abruptly stop at the seam to the middle section?
Airflow separation would be my guess.
Robin