Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch event will be LEGENDARY, are Tesla events better than Apple's ?

Overall, who does the best launch events:

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to let this thread disappear, but now that it's back, having watched the iPhone SE/iPad Pro event this week, while also choosing to rewatch the Model X and "D" reveal events, there's really no contest. Apple's presentations are a focus-grouped, microanalyzed art form. Tesla just puts Elon and a car on stage and let's him say words.

Sure, Tesla maybe makes more impressive products these days, and reveals more significant upgrades, but to compare the two or even say Tesla presentations are better, is ridiculous. No one on that Apple stage has ever said "um" once. Elon, for all his strengths, leaves a lot to be desired in his presentations.
I "disliked" your post not because of the content, which is interesting, but because of your attitude, which is negative.

Yep, this thread's survey is a bit impossible to answer as the contrast between corporate events, particularly Apple vs. Tesla is stark and they're not yet directly competing. Being given a difficult task is not "ridiculous" as you suggested in your negative post, it is an exercise which you can choose, or not, in which to participate.

Road & Track was worried about being sent to "Elon's pirhana pit" when driving his personal Model X at the MX Tesla Launch Event. When Apple is launching cars in their more cheery, on-time manner, maybe it will be Beatles vs. Stones in the EV arena.

But let's not forget that Tesla products are, so far, mostly built in cheery all-white modern factories, where Apple products are mostly sub-contracted to grey, dismal labour farms.

The poll was an add-on, the discussion is the thing here and I'm happy so far... in summary so far, Tesla delivers the dense info, but takes its time delivering, Apple delivers lots of fluff and only 3 or 4 new things (with some sub-new things), and we get some of them an hour later, the rest 1 week or so later. Tesla is late and dark and night-cluby and Apple's are usually bright, day-time work events.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ELRev
This isn't the first thread that decided to pick apart Elon's presentation style. Is it perfect? No. Does he say everything he needs to say (plus a bit more at times :) ). Heck yes.

After the Powerwall event, The Verge said Elon gave the best tech keynote they'd ever heard. I concur. It's not about entertainment (for me, at least), it's about content. I'd take Elon over a Steve Jobs every time.

Watch Elon Musk deliver the best tech keynote I've ever seen

"I've watched a lot of handsomely paid CEOs get on stages for keynote presentations over the past decade, and none were as good as the one I saw Elon Musk give Thursday night in California as he introduced Tesla's new battery system. I'm sure many people will disagree — I mean, how can you compete with Steve Jobs introducing the iPhone in 2007 — but ultimately Jobs was selling a better smartphone. Musk is selling a better future."​

I have no particular interest in Apple i$#!+ presentations... Though I've always been a fan of iMac, PowerMac, and PowerBook.

Microsoft has thrown some positively AWESOME events for the XBOX series of videogame consoles. And really, I haven't seen anything from Apple that comes even close. Food, drinks, hot chicks, live entertainment, and better than decent press swag.

I enjoyed the Tesla Motors 'D' Event, the only one of theirs I have attended. I believe they made an error, as they allowed invitees to bring too many people with them... So there were a whole bunch of kids, and that made the lines longer, and a crowd that was expected to be 'intimate' ended up being 'don't breathe standing room only' instead. If you did find some place to sit, someone might have sat in your lap...

They tried to fix it with the Model X Launch Event, by using a larger indoor venue, and limiting attendance to a +1... But it didn't work. I think that is why they went with The LOTTERY format and a hard ceiling on attendance for the Model ☰ Reveal. I expect that it will go well. Because it's the same venue as The 'D' Event, things should go much more smoothly. Heck, there were probably over 800 people in line behind me, when I got there late, and the place was already packed. So, maxing out the attendees, including press and their support, narrowing the field of other invitees to current owners and their +1s, then randomly selecting from among them should make for a very decent, comfortable, and on-time showing this week. I do recommend wearing comfortable shoes, long sleeves or a jacket, and arriving EARLY -- especially if you have foot, back, or knee problems and need to sit for a while.

Reactions: Lex
Did anyone actually watch the last Apple event? I thought I was going to fall asleep:

Apple makes solid products, but they haven't been very exciting as a company in the past few years. iPhone releases are generally evolutionary at this point, and hardly anyone I know uses an Apple Watch. The latest iPhone introduced, the iPhone SE, is basically an iPhone 5/5s shell with a few iPhone 6s upgrades inside. Then there's a new addition to the iPad Pro line, which is basically a next-generation iPad Air. Smaller screen, but HALF the RAM of the original large screen Pro. Boring.

As bungled as the Model X launch party was, the actual product and discussion of that product was much much better than a recent Apple event.

Reactions: Red Sage