Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised that Tesla isn't making those parts in House. Does the company making the parts have all the tooling and stamping machines setup already and have they started producing those parts?
Nearly everything in a car, even Tesla, is made by third party suppliers to the specifications of the manufacturer.

Tesla does design and manufacture more things in house than others (eg computers, battery, motor, even the car seats), but almost everything else you touch in the car is made by another company.

This year? LOL.
what gets me is the absolute lack of Cybertrucks spotted in "the wild" doing road-testing... yeah... there are the 3-4 prototypes we see cruising around and at refinery ground breaking... meanwhile Ford/GM will have 20+ prototypes road-testing all over the US for each new generation and doing that for an extended amount of time and well before mass production start.

what gets me is the absolute lack of Cybertrucks spotted in "the wild" doing road-testing... yeah... there are the 3-4 prototypes we see cruising around and at refinery ground breaking... meanwhile Ford/GM will have 20+ prototypes road-testing all over the US for each new generation and doing that for an extended amount of time and well before mass production start.
Tesla has never been known for extensive preproduction validation and testing. Hence why they have problems that crop up after the cars are released about things that seemingly were not well tested or thought out. Eg: rain and snow rolling into the Model 3 trunk, Model 3/Y frozen door handles, ride quality issues, wind and road noise issues, creaks and rattles, etc

Tesla has never been known for extensive preproduction validation and testing. Hence why they have problems that crop up after the cars are released about things that seemingly were not well tested or thought out. Eg: rain and snow rolling into the Model 3 trunk, Model 3/Y frozen door handles, ride quality issues, wind and road noise issues, creaks and rattles, etc
agreed. problem is: traditional truck buyers have very little to no patience for that... they expect rugged and well tested vehicles. Hence the F150 Lightning is so conservatively designed...

Tesla will surprise/shock us like they'd with Model Y-which got produced & delivered earlier. CT has so much hype & some EV pick ups are already on the road that Tesla has burden to prove. This time it's gonna be high performance CT-the World's gonna go crazy!
Truck buyers care about payload, towing, off-road capability, durability, and a comfortable up to date cabin. I could really care less about "high performance" in a truck. Either it will come to market meeting those capabilities, or it will just be a "lifestyle" vehicle limited to the fanboys. I do agree that Tesla has the burden to prove.

Truck buyers care about payload, towing, off-road capability, durability, and a comfortable up to date cabin. I could really care less about "high performance" in a truck. Either it will come to market meeting those capabilities, or it will just be a "lifestyle" vehicle limited to the fanboys. I do agree that Tesla has the burden to prove.
yup. the only high performance trucks out there might be some crazy aftermarket tuned Raptors and that's a niche niche niche segment of the truck market.
majority of truck buyers don't get a truck to do 0-60 videos or brag about top speed. given how "low" the Cybertruck rides in the highest setting... I can already tell that it looks stupid next to a factory lifted full size truck. The 1980s "futuristic" look doesnt help either.

These are key performance factors for truck, hence a "High Performance" truck will perform very will on these things.
or are you, like so many urban cowboys, confusing trucks with cars?
That comment makes little sense. You agree that payload, off-road capability, and durability are the key important metrics for a truck. But you assume that the Cybertruck would have to have these things in order to be "high performance". Not at all; the Cybertruck could very well have great 0-60 performance, high performance on a road, but be crappy in the factors that matter for a truck. Hence, being more of a "lifestyle vehicle" for the Tesla fan-boys and man purse crowd.
Either it will come to market meeting the factors that are important to the truck buyer or it won't. We'll see. Ford has done a great job in keeping their Lightning a real F-150.

Reactions: wreighven