Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nearly everything in a car, even Tesla, is made by third party suppliers to the specifications of the manufacturer.

Tesla does design and manufacture more things in house than others (eg computers, battery, motor, even the car seats), but almost everything else you touch in the car is made by another company.
Yep. The shift from prototype to production capability involves developing long and complex supply chain relationships with materials suppliers and manufacturers. That’s a very different problem than the engineering problems that get you through development of Proof of Concept. Building the management and contractual expertise to make that transition is where / why so many other EV companies (like Rivian, Lucid, Polesrar, etc.) struggle with making the jump or simply fail altogether. They sputter since as the saying goes, “you’re only as good as your worst (or most unreliable) Sub”.

Proof of concept is a difficult engineering problem. Scaling PoC to production is a management / contractual problem. Very different worlds.

Anyone read this?
A recently leaked document, shared by Germany’s Handelsblatt newspaper and reported here by Wired, sheds some light on why it’s been almost four years since the truck’s reveal and pulls back the curtain on the complex engineering process behind its development. The company struggled to solve issues with body sealing and leaks, noise, handling and braking, and suspension. While those are common issues with any new model, industry insiders expressed surprise at how much effort and time it took to solve them.

Leaked document shows significant early issues with Tesla Cybertruck

Anyone read this?
A recently leaked document, shared by Germany’s Handelsblatt newspaper and reported here by Wired, sheds some light on why it’s been almost four years since the truck’s reveal and pulls back the curtain on the complex engineering process behind its development. The company struggled to solve issues with body sealing and leaks, noise, handling and braking, and suspension. While those are common issues with any new model, industry insiders expressed surprise at how much effort and time it took to solve them.

"Some of the problems stemmed from the truck’s design, which presented unique challenges with body sealing and noise. Getting a good seal with traditional automotive shapes is hard enough, and the sharp, geometric Cybertruck made the process even more challenging"

shocker. different is not always better.

given how much wind noise even a more conventional Model 3 experiences... I wouldn't want to own a 1st Gen Cybertruck unless I really enjoy being told "within spec" and shown the door at Service Centers...

Anyone read this?

The first off, hand built prototype wasn't perfect? The horror!
Tesla found things to improve? GASP!
😉

They also don’t mention the transition to 48v architecture allowing megawatts charging. This could be the largest reason for delay.
48V low-voltage architecture is a completely separate design choice from higher power charging.
The newest non-semi pedestals are 1000V 615Amp max, so still under 1 MW, but the NACS connector standard calls it out as handling >900 amps with a non-cooled vehicle port.

Cybertruck could very well have great 0-60 performance, high performance on a road, but be crappy in the factors that matter for a truck. Hence, being more of a "lifestyle vehicle" for the Tesla fan-boys and man purse crowd.
Either it will come to market meeting the factors that are important to the truck buyer or it won't. We'll see. Ford has done a great job in keeping their Lightning a real F-150.
I think Tesla knows it has to be a truck first. This is the market - they already dominate the EV car market. If they do not step up with something really impressive in these basic truck expectations I agree, it will fail except for the Tesla-fan "lifestyle" purchasers you mention. However, there are far more lifestyle purchasers who won't even consider the CT because it doesn't project the image they want to project so this poser-population won't save CT - overall it is working against it. The big problem is trust is slow to gain and quick to lose. Tesla has none when it comes to trucks and that is IMO the biggest issue they have to overcome. They can't just meet established truck specs to succeed, they have to blow them away.

Reactions: Cal1 and Eric9610
Because they’re not that close. They want to believe they are, but they know stuff tends to go wrong.

I give them credit for keeping their mouths shut until it’s actually ready. Way, way, way too much over-promising on the part of them and especially their CEO in the past. They’ve got a reputation for it and they’re thankfully trying to regain some credibility.

Because they’re not that close. They want to believe they are, but they know stuff tends to go wrong.

I give them credit for keeping their mouths shut until it’s actually ready. Way, way, way too much over-promising on the part of them and especially their CEO in the past. They’ve got a reputation for it and they’re thankfully trying to regain some credibility.
yeah. once they release specs & prices it'll be another 2-3 months before the first ones are delivered in somewhat of a volume. not the 5-10 vehicles they deliver at a launch event. My best guess is not before ~October and large volumes with production running smoothly probably not before Q2 '24+

Reactions: TessP100D
I think Tesla knows it has to be a truck first. This is the market

You mean poser truck market, right?

With the starting price steadily creeping north of $60K (for 1 motor small battery, up from $39.9K), this will be priced far on the fringes of the working truck price range. Dual motor is heading to right under $80K limit, lets call it $75-79K (up from $49.9K).
Tri motor with 500+ miles of range is going way north of $80K, call it $85-99K (up from $69.9K).

At $69.9K I can over-look the ugliness and focus on the range, the power, and the value proposition.
At $99+K for the same, this will become a MUCH harder challenge, especially since dual/quad motor Rivian will become a bargain!

they already dominate the EV car market. If they do not step up with something really impressive in these basic truck expectations I agree, it will fail except for the Tesla-fan "lifestyle" purchasers you mention.

Yep, and those are the 90+% of the "Truck" and "SUV" market.

However, there are far more lifestyle purchasers who won't even consider the CT because it doesn't project the image they want to project so this poser-population won't save CT - overall it is working against it.

Poser population IS the truck/SUV market.
How many truck/SUV owners you know actually haul loads / drive off-road for a living ?
Exactly!

The big problem is trust is slow to gain and quick to lose. Tesla has none when it comes to trucks and that is IMO the biggest issue they have to overcome. They can't just meet established truck specs to succeed, they have to blow them away.

All they need to do is fill a hole in the product lineup.
Thus the logic behind Model Y after 3 - it's an inferior value proposition that fills "SUV/crossover" market segment, and thus brings in new customers and revenue.
Same goes for the pickup truck segment - first place I expect to see the CyberTruck is at parked at upscale malls during the day, and dropping off/picking up kids from schools before/after the shopping is done.

YMMV,
a

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday
You mean poser truck market, right?

With the starting price steadily creeping north of $60K (for 1 motor small battery, up from $39.9K), this will be priced far on the fringes of the working truck price range. Dual motor is heading to right under $80K limit, lets call it $75-79K (up from $49.9K).
Tri motor with 500+ miles of range is going way north of $80K, call it $85-99K (up from $69.9K).

At $69.9K I can over-look the ugliness and focus on the range, the power, and the value proposition.
At $99+K for the same, this will become a MUCH harder challenge, especially since dual/quad motor Rivian will become a bargain!

Yep, and those are the 90+% of the "Truck" and "SUV" market.

Poser population IS the truck/SUV market.
How many truck/SUV owners you know actually haul loads / drive off-road for a living ?
Exactly!

All they need to do is fill a hole in the product lineup.
Thus the logic behind Model Y after 3 - it's an inferior value proposition that fills "SUV/crossover" market segment, and thus brings in new customers and revenue.
Same goes for the pickup truck segment - first place I expect to see the CyberTruck is at parked at upscale malls during the day, and dropping off/picking up kids from schools before/after the shopping is done.

YMMV,
a
i dont see this brutalist and very polarizing design being a huge appeal to suburban soccer mom market... just saying. unpainted stainless steel doesn't help much either.

• Funny
Reactions: STUtoday
i dont see this brutalist and very polarizing design being a huge appeal to suburban soccer mom market... just saying. unpainted stainless steel doesn't help much either.
The CT is Tesla's iPad. The initial reaction to the iPad was negative. "Who is going to buy this?" " It's not a smartphone." " It's too small to be used as a TV." "What would I do with this? I already have an iPhone and a PC." " There's no market for the iPad."

13 years later, over a billion people worldwide own a tablet and over 150 million are delivered each year.

The CT is Tesla's iPad. The initial reaction to the iPad was negative. "Who is going to buy this?" " It's not a smartphone." " It's too small to be used as a TV." "What would I do with this? I already have an iPhone and a PC." " There's no market for the iPad."

13 years later, over a billion people worldwide own a tablet and over 150 million are delivered each year.

It’s more like a Galaxy Tablet. The IPad is already out.