Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch mode for Tesla Model 3 thoughts (M3 Cheetah)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking about the "Cheetah" mode for Model S and how a similar launch mode could be (easily) built for the Model 3.

With the Model S, you can use the air suspension to lower the front (may raise the back) just before launching. On the Model 3 we don't have air suspension but cheaper shocks/springs/coilovers.

Could it be possible for Tesla to develop a launch mode for the Model 3 by loading up the suspension? Would this even add a benefit to launching from a dig/stop?

I.e. My thinking is to have the front/rear motors run reverse of each for a few inches, putting pressure on the suspension. The other option is to apply front brake while moving the rear wheels a few inches, similar to line lock.

P.S. Maybe Tesla should release a line-lock for us to do nice juicy burn-outs

Thoughts?

Launch control would load the chassis , not sure why you would think that putting a forward motor into reverse creating a conflicting load, would be a good idea.

Of course I'm no automotive engineer but after seeing many drag cars squat down just before they launch (by the torque put on by the rear wheels) I'm thinking this helps the launch by jumping the car forward as power is put to the wheels.

Think of the car like a large spring (lying on it's side) on 4 wheels. Normally the spring does not do anything if you launch with all 4 tires putting down (the same) power at the same time. If you now allow the launch to slightly compress the spring, could you not get a "jump" forward by releasing resisting tension on the front wheels while simultaneously providing power to the rear wheels? I.e. Launch mode.

Of course I'm fully open those that know better and tell me that I missed a bunch of physics.

P.S. Of course, I'd love to have Ludicrous mode for my M3P. I'm already starting to feel it's slow when you look at the crazy cars coming out now.

I'm not sure how you would "load up" the suspension without air suspension - which may or may not come to the 3. Elon said it would in the early days (timed with dual motor release) but then later on I believe he nixed that and said would be S/X only. Guessing he wanted to differentiate them more. Seems like a lost opportunity to me. People would probably pay 5-10k more for air suspension and an actual launch mode like the S has. But Elon is known to change his mind about things when he realizes he was wrong so perhaps one day the 3 will get it.

Until then, I'm sure the next gen battery will provide a fair amount of extra horsepower.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Of course I'm no automotive engineer but after seeing many drag cars squat down just before they launch (by the torque put on by the rear wheels) I'm thinking this helps the launch by jumping the car forward as power is put to the wheels.

Think of the car like a large spring (lying on it's side) on 4 wheels. Normally the spring does not do anything if you launch with all 4 tires putting down (the same) power at the same time. If you now allow the launch to slightly compress the spring, could you not get a "jump" forward by releasing resisting tension on the front wheels while simultaneously providing power to the rear wheels? I.e. Launch mode.

Of course I'm fully open those that know better and tell me that I missed a bunch of physics.

P.S. Of course, I'd love to have Ludicrous mode for my M3P. I'm already starting to feel it's slow when you look at the crazy cars coming out now.

the act of 'squatting' as you are saying, doesn't do anything. It's an effect of loading the chassis. If you have an adjustable suspension, then it could be taken into consideration of the overall car's geometry during a launch, as a potential beneficial option.

Now think of it this was, if you did what you wanted, and ran a front motor in reverse to 'squat' the front, when the car starts moving, it will have to fight the car to get it back into normal load that occurs when the car moves forward. So, the car would actually be slower in a launch using your recommendation because it's fighting additional unnecessary resistance on the chassis. And that's not taking into the consideration the lag (however much it is) of having the front motor going from reverse under load, to forward under load, while the rear motor is already under a forward load.

Until then, I'm sure the next gen battery will provide a fair amount of extra horsepower.

That's all I want... more juice volume going through the electron hose. Logging my car during launches (i'm creating a graph now of the car launching every 10% from 10% to 100%), I'm seeing peak numbers not terribly far off from 30%-70%, but that peak in the lower percentage ranges is extremely short, and it reflected in the graph once you get moving. It's a substantial difference once you start looking at the 40-45mph and up range, and over 60 in the lower ranges, the car just falls on its face.

Not sure if there are any minor modifications that can be made to improve the power at higher speeds with lower battery, or if it's just going to have to be a higher voltage and/or larger battery capacity.

I also would love the option to enable track mode while driving.
Not going to happen - you don't need that on a track and letting you do it while driving will worsen crash stats. Next you're going to ask for navigation to work, decrease a fan speed and let you engage an AP with track mode. Oh, and Netflix should work during drive.

Not going to happen - you don't need that on a track and letting you do it while driving will worsen crash stats. Next you're going to ask for navigation to work, decrease a fan speed and let you engage an AP with track mode. Oh, and Netflix should work during drive.

I do wish you could stream audio from the browser while driving, and minimizing it so you can only see the map.

A lot of great livestreams happening that would be great to listen to while driving.

BT bandwidth doesn't support high levels of audio quality offered by some of the streaming services now. Just not enough room in the communication.
BT in Tesla is 250kbit AAC - that's beyond human levels to hear a difference vs any higher fidelity sound. Besides you going to listen it in a car which brings 100x higher sound distortions. But in short - you or anyone else won't hear any difference.

Yeah, I'm subscribed to the Tidal btw, you just reminded me that I should cancel it, I don't know why I did it in a first place...

P. S. I was in so many HiFi fights over years about those stupid fidelity arguments...

Reactions: Lindenwood
How is that even the same thing . Every bmw I've ever owned allows you to switch to a sportier traction control while in motion ..