Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch mode for Tesla Model 3 thoughts (M3 Cheetah)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course I'm no automotive engineer but after seeing many drag cars squat down just before they launch
"Squatting" has some benefit for RWD vehicles, as it loads more of the weight onto the drive wheels. Pointed straight ahead friction on your front wheels does you no good as they aren't putting any of your engine's power onto the ground, the front wheels just need a bare minimum of contact to keep you from veering off sideways.

This is generally counter productive with an AWD vehicle as your traction generated per downward force (AKA 'gravity') on tires, the friction coefficient, is slightly lower as downward force increases. So optimum for a "launch" in an AWD tends to be towards completely even distribution of downward force between front and back wheels. Squatting still happens to an extent in an AWD, because the point at which you're grabbing the road is below your vertical center of mass so you naturally get some rotation of the front up and the back down, but you don't actually want it.

Last edited:
Android Auto - right side screen for normal mode and full screen for track mode.

Provide everything available on the car bus to the Android Phone through the API including all cameras video streams, high speed data, USB storage (for sentry mode). Make Tesla API accessible locally and expand it with more functions in Track Mode.

Let community develop everything else.
Safe, reliable, infinitely expandable. Sky is the limit with minimal effort from Tesla.

Last edited:
Android Auto - right side screen for normal mode and full screen for track mode.

Provide everything available on the car bus to the Android Phone through the API including all cameras video streams, high speed data, USB storage (for sentry mode). Make Tesla API accessible locally and expand it with more functions in Track Mode.

Let community develop everything else.
Safe, reliable, infinitely expandable. Sky is the limit with minimal effort from Tesla.

They are playing the apple card here and just releasing features slowly to keep updates constant over a longer period of time.

Reactions: SammichLover
Even Apple products allow developers to do stuff.
Hey, they haven't put in the effort to try lockdown their OAuth service to deny 3rd party app access to their private API. I suspect trying would end up an epic fail in some way or other, but the API remains there today and Tesla hasn't declared war on its use.

Adding an option to poop Android Auto over half the screen is the antithesis of an Apple move. ;) I don't even know if they could legally allow the full-screen mode, given that it'd block out the "instrument cluster"? Maybe?

Hey, they haven't put in the effort to try lockdown their OAuth service to deny 3rd party app access to their private API. I suspect trying would end up an epic fail in some way or other, but the API remains there today and Tesla hasn't declared war on its use.

Adding an option to poop Android Auto over half the screen is the antithesis of an Apple move. ;) I don't even know if they could legally allow the full-screen mode, given that it'd block out the "instrument cluster"? Maybe?
Well, you poop app store apps all over Apple products all the time, so disagree. And full screen is for track mode only and track mode tells you not to use it on a public road. Android Auto is the safest way to bring 3rd party apps to Tesla. Without 3rd party apps it's impossible to satisfy everybody and Tesla should not waste resources on accessories.

Not going to happen - you don't need that on a track and letting you do it while driving will worsen crash stats. Next you're going to ask for navigation to work, decrease a fan speed and let you engage an AP with track mode. Oh, and Netflix should work during drive.

Here comes the no fun police.....

But seriously you can not have an electric motor go in reverse to preload suspension then engage it. That has blow my motors up and tare suspension apart written all over it. It will never happen.

I could picture it now... Kids trying to simulate cheetah mode in their 86 automatic mustangs, Putting vehicle in reverse on the line while holding the E-Brake, then dropping the Ebrake and putting it into drive.... LOL Now if Tesla enabled the rear motor and disabled the front motor while applying the front brakes... that would work to preload the suspension.

Well, you poop app store apps all over Apple products all the time, so disagree.
??? Please explain what this means & relavence? I’m not following this.
And full screen is for track mode only and track mode tells you not to use it on a public road.
That’s really. really niche. And getting into a crowd that can go fully 3rd party with all electronics, anyway.
Android Auto is the safest way to bring 3rd party apps to Tesla. Without 3rd party apps it's impossible to satisfy everybody and Tesla should not waste resources on accessories.
As someone at a Garden party once said; You can’t please everyone so you might as well please yourself.

Besides, “safest” way is heavily curated, even co-production, apps locked into Park mode anyway.

Which is why we have those.

Last edited by a moderator:
??? Please explain what this means & relavence? I’m not following this.

That’s really. really niche. And getting into a crowd that can go fully 3rd party with all electronics, anyway.

As someone at a Garden party once said; You can’t please everyone so you might as well please yourself.

Besides, “safest” way is heavily curated, even co-production, apps locked into Park mode anyway.

Which is why we have those.
Not sure what to explain, I used your reference - nothing wrong with having custom apps in Tesla. Actually it's the only way to make them really good and variable. It took Apple 1.5 years to understand that iPhone won't work without 3rd party apps. How long will it take Tesla?

Not sure what to explain, I used your reference - nothing wrong with having custom apps in Tesla. Actually it's the only way to make them really good and variable. It took Apple 1.5 years to understand that iPhone won't work without 3rd party apps. How long will it take Tesla?
I'm guessing it'll take a very, very long time to come to this conclusion. Roughly in the range of 'never'. :p

We have a family business that is currently delivering, because our storefront is still closed due to the 'Rona. When my wife delivers she wants to take my car. The core of the reason, the mapping on the Bolt for doing it sucks compared to Tesla's native. Because AA/Carplay is ultimately a clunky hack. And that's where often there is nothing else of note to look at on that console screen.

The Model 3 is a fundamentally different situation from an iPhone and apps/Android phones and apps. Crapping AA/Carplay onto the native UI screen, even in the tougher to implement split screen, is going to be the suck for the vast majority of the public. The UI never was designed to support those kinds of windows. At some point they might put in lots of work to have something like the native Music window that you can show semi-permanently because it reduces to a very narrow vertical footprint. Or potentially at some point use the split screen capability on the S & X. But that's a fair amount of work in the back end, but then you're competing with the phone itself and a wide variety of apps that are never going to belong on the UI.

In the meantime if really you want your phone displaying something for you so bad just set up a binnacle.

P.S. I dislike using CarPlay because of how much heat it dumps into my phone. I don't know if that's Bolt specific or CarPlay specific but I very much dislike how hot my phone gets with extended use like that, even just using the podcast app.

Reactions: dfwatt
Model 3 Performance doesn’t need Cheetah mode - it just needs Tesla to remove the software that limits acceleration from standstill to ~ 10 mph.

I felt the nerfing the first time I launched the car from a stop sign and it’s clearly demonstrated by the lackluster 60’ times the car produces.

Model 3 Performance doesn’t need Cheetah mode - it just needs Tesla to remove the software that limits acceleration from standstill to ~ 10 mph.

I felt the nerfing the first time I launched the car from a stop sign and it’s clearly demonstrated by the lackluster 60’ times the car produces.

You may be onto something there. I've driven both the Model S performance and Model 3 performance back to back (before I bought my M3P). The Model 3 was fast while the Model S was "heart" stopping fast. Getting that jolt at launch on a M3P will definitely make up for Cheetah mode as long as it doesn't break something on my car.

You may be onto something there. I've driven both the Model S performance and Model 3 performance back to back (before I bought my M3P). The Model 3 was fast while the Model S was "heart" stopping fast. Getting that jolt at launch on a M3P will definitely make up for Cheetah mode as long as it doesn't break something on my car.

Model S uses induction motors while the 3 uses a PMSR motor. One of the disadvantages to PMSR is that it's susceptible to torque ripple at low speeds. So I believe that's why the initial launch is less punchy in order to avoid torque ripple so unless the motor or motor design themselves change, we probably aren't going to see harder launches from the 3. Engineering Explained talked about this with his P3 in one of his YT videos. Go to about the 6 minute mark and he explains it.

Last edited:
But our front motor is induction which would support the launch mode. You’re right the Pm motors are limited downlow. I do think they could rework the software for the launch to use more power from the front and keep the power the the same at the rear and load it up a few seconds and then let it eat. This car could probably pick up 1-2 tenths in 0-60 and maybe carry that thru the 1/4 mile. I have been asking for launch mode for over a year. But it probably won’t happen. It it could if enough of us tweet Elon. Hell the model y is now getting track mode ( some form of it) that was confirmed. So maybe we can get something in the form of launch mode. I do think a selectable configurations for track setting while driving would be useful. My CTR had a rocker switch to change between modes. But seeing that we have a lot more control we should be able to make mode and just flip it and it changes to track mode and the way you set it. But I’m sure they have their reason for not doing it.

I hope they release a dragrace mode for the 3P, so it can be super sensitive on throttle.
I guess you could earn maybe 0.05 seconds or maybe a bit more with an digital throttle (on/off). By this I mean that instead of having to floor it, you just barely touched it to go max watts.