TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Launch mode? Pffft... it's about the wipers!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Caligula, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Caligula

Caligula Member

#1 Caligula, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Well, while the car was at the service center getting the panoramic roof lubed up (was making noises when opening or closing), I had them push the latest firmware update for me. I wish this would include launch mode, but alas I'm poor and could only afford an 85D... and as such I have to take comfort in knowing that said update allows my automatic rain-sensing wipers actually work (properly) now!

Previously, these things just wouldn't activate unless a ridiculously large amount of water hit the sensors, even on the most sensitive setting. I'd get the entire windshield covered in water during light rains, and never have the damn things activate. This is no longer the issue with the latest firmware (and indeed, this is in the update notes) and these things work aces! We had a very rare rain day here in San Diego today and I got to put this to the test. Not once did I feel the need to manually activate the wipers or adjust speed (and this is with the least sensitive setting).

Cliffs Notrs: Boo on Tesla for not having this sorted earlier, but thank you for fixing it! :biggrin:

2. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Hm, which update did they push to you? I got one today, too, but the notes only mentioned Launch Mode (lucky me...) and Nav improvement. My wipers have always worked fine, though. Touch wood.

3. Caligula

Caligula Member

I'll check that next time I'm in the car. Unless we can use the app to see?

4. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Not that I've been able to figure out. But they emailed me a copy of my "invoice" and it was on there.

5. Caligula

Caligula Member

Good call on that. It was updated to 2.9.40 from 2.7.56

6. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Funny enough I'm on 2.7.56 and have actually been surprised with how well the auto sensing wipers work so if they've been improved then it just gets better... :) I'll be happy to update once Tesla gives my car the green light... LOL

Jeff

7. _TTT_

_TTT_ Member

Absolutely! The wipers work SO much better now. Funny...I hadn't even thought that they should improve that SW but am so glad they did.

8. green1

green1 Active Member

I've found the wipers to be amazingly good. On every firmware I've had from 6.2 on up. Never had any complaints with them.

9. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

Surprised you didnt get 2.9.68

10. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

He actually may have.

He based his answer on what was on his paperwork. 2.9.68 is so new, the default for "Upgraded firmware to version X" at his SC may not yet have been updated in their system. I'd say it's 50/50 that he has 2.9.68 in the car.

11. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Can't wait to get that update, the terrible automatic wiper feature is a serious annoyance, glad to hear it's being addressed.

12. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Maybe, but my notes did not mention a wiper situation. And he's at the same SC as I am and I got 2.9.68 so seems strange he wouldn't have. Is it model specific? Maybe only the ones capable of Launch Mode get 2.9.68? Maybe their wipers are okay? Who knows? Seriously, who does know the answer? My service guy didn't even know about the launch mode update. Or that the update might fix the heater.

13. Caligula

Caligula Member

Hmmm... it seems there is an unknown variable here, so I will check the firmware in the car itself next time I go down there.

14. Caligula

Caligula Member

#14 Caligula, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    Seems my invoice is correct. The car is also telling me that it's on 2.9.40

Side note: had a single (large) drop of water fall off an overpass onto my windshield. Almost as soon as it worked it's way down past my line of sight at the bottom of the windshield, the wipers activated. Glorious.

15. sillydriver

sillydriver Member

I'm glad to hear this improvement is coming. Currently the rain sensing wipers are so bad i usually give up and manually click the button at the end of the stalk every couple seconds.

16. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That's what I do, but if you use a glass cleaner that sheds the water, it has to be raining really hard before you do it that frequently. For me it's often zero to twice in 25 miles.

17. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

This is funny, I find the wipers are way too aggressive for my taste and I can't stand the sound of wiping a mostly dry windshield, so I do it manually...

18. cynix

cynix Member

Same here. The wipers are way too fast when there's a light drizzle.

19. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The "old fashioned" timed intervals via a switch setting would be much better.

20. Lex

Lex Member

x 3 mine have always been too uppity.

Maybe they made some adjustments to the hardware as they went along or something...