Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch mode? Pffft... it's about the wipers!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, while the car was at the service center getting the panoramic roof lubed up (was making noises when opening or closing), I had them push the latest firmware update for me. I wish this would include launch mode, but alas I'm poor and could only afford an 85D... and as such I have to take comfort in knowing that said update allows my automatic rain-sensing wipers actually work (properly) now!

Previously, these things just wouldn't activate unless a ridiculously large amount of water hit the sensors, even on the most sensitive setting. I'd get the entire windshield covered in water during light rains, and never have the damn things activate. This is no longer the issue with the latest firmware (and indeed, this is in the update notes) and these things work aces! We had a very rare rain day here in San Diego today and I got to put this to the test. Not once did I feel the need to manually activate the wipers or adjust speed (and this is with the least sensitive setting).

Cliffs Notrs: Boo on Tesla for not having this sorted earlier, but thank you for fixing it! :biggrin:

Last edited:
He actually may have.

He based his answer on what was on his paperwork. 2.9.68 is so new, the default for "Upgraded firmware to version X" at his SC may not yet have been updated in their system. I'd say it's 50/50 that he has 2.9.68 in the car.
Maybe, but my notes did not mention a wiper situation. And he's at the same SC as I am and I got 2.9.68 so seems strange he wouldn't have. Is it model specific? Maybe only the ones capable of Launch Mode get 2.9.68? Maybe their wipers are okay? Who knows? Seriously, who does know the answer? My service guy didn't even know about the launch mode update. Or that the update might fix the heater.

Seems my invoice is correct. The car is also telling me that it's on 2.9.40

Side note: had a single (large) drop of water fall off an overpass onto my windshield. Almost as soon as it worked it's way down past my line of sight at the bottom of the windshield, the wipers activated. Glorious.

Last edited:
Well, while the car was at the service center getting the panoramic roof lubed up (was making noises when opening or closing), I had them push the latest firmware update for me. I wish this would include launch mode, but alas I'm poor and could only afford an 85D... and as such I have to take comfort in knowing that said update allows my automatic rain-sensing wipers actually work (properly) now!

Previously, these things just wouldn't activate unless a ridiculously large amount of water hit the sensors, even on the most sensitive setting. I'd get the entire windshield covered in water during light rains, and never have the damn things activate. This is no longer the issue with the latest firmware (and indeed, this is in the update notes) and these things work aces! We had a very rare rain day here in San Diego today and I got to put this to the test. Not once did I feel the need to manually activate the wipers or adjust speed (and this is with the least sensitive setting).

Cliffs Notrs: Boo on Tesla for not having this sorted earlier, but thank you for fixing it! :biggrin:
I'm glad to hear this improvement is coming. Currently the rain sensing wipers are so bad i usually give up and manually click the button at the end of the stalk every couple seconds.

I'm glad to hear this improvement is coming. Currently the rain sensing wipers are so bad i usually give up and manually click the button at the end of the stalk every couple seconds.
That's what I do, but if you use a glass cleaner that sheds the water, it has to be raining really hard before you do it that frequently. For me it's often zero to twice in 25 miles.