TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Launch Mode questions

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by kirkbauer, Jan 30, 2016.

1. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

After doing a few launches I have some questions.

1) what exactly is causing the car to squat down?
    2) do we have numbers on how much this improves 0-60?
    3) how is the improvement actually accomplished?
    4) sometimes I get "both pedals pressed" when trying to start launch mode causing me to restart the sequence. Any ideas why?
    5) why does it matter if max battery is enabled?

2. NSX1992

NSX1992 Member

From my test at the dragstrip there was zero improvement in elapsed time. The car squats due to preloading? Both pedals pressed means you pressed the go pedal before pushing the brake pedal hard. Maximum battery enabled heats up the battery to optimum temperature to release the maximum power. It will tell you how many minutes it will take but launch mode can be used right away.

3. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

That's why I'm curious: why do they require max battery power when it doesn't have to be ready anyways? For me it makes it more difficult to use at the spur of the moment. Seems it could be independent of launch mode.

Thanks for the reply!

4. rns-e

rns-e Member

In this thread Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing

you will see that the car builds up just under 700 nm of torque, which it is holding back with the brakes, the result - a squat that many crossfitters would be proud of

5. kennybobby

kennybobby Member

This could be like flipping a switch that signals to the controller, along with the pedal dance, to allow higher-than-normal temperature limits across the system (inverter, motor, pack) for performance purposes. A robust controller can safely operate with less margin--trade off a little margin for extra power.