Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch Pad Explosion during Static Test Fire - Sept 1 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Implication of sabotage adds intrigue to SpaceX investigation

Implication of sabotage adds intrigue to SpaceX investigation

The long-running feud between Elon Musk’s space company and its fierce competitor United Launch Alliance took a bizarre twist this month when a SpaceX employee visited its facilities at Cape Canaveral, Fla., and asked for access to the roof of one of ULA’s buildings.

i wonder if a sniper shooting the rocket could cause it to explode, that article mentions a quiter bang sound prior to the explosion, my first thought is gun fire
This been discussed quite a bit already in this forum. In my opinion, it is certainly possible, and it appears that SpaceX has not ruled it out, nor should they since they have to investigate every possible cause, particularly since the true cause has yet to be determined despite extensive analysis of thousands of channels of telemetry and video data.

I think sabotage is unlikely. But it is certainly possible. Rockets are not designed to withstand the impact of a bullet, and a target the size of a rocket would be an easy shot to make even from a mile away. Modern sniper rifles are very accurate at distances of more than 2,000 meters. See Sniper rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note: I asked Siri how many meters in a mile. I could not remember the exact figure. She replied "1,609 meters". I said "Thank you Siri". She replied, "I aim to please". (I'm not making that up. Try it.) Of course Siri had no idea I was asking my question in reference to this thread. At least I think she didn't know that... ;)

Last edited:
This conspiracy stuff is just getting ridiculous. SpaceX needs to make a statement to end it, even if there is a VERY remote possibility of outside sources involved in this accident. So far they are speaking like engineers and scientist, but that language does not translate very well to the general public.

Enemy Drone, Laser Weapon Destroyed SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket, Elon Musk Now Believes

There are lots of these examples, but here is a simple chart showing how the meaning is lost in translation to the general public.

table.jpg

This conspiracy stuff is just getting ridiculous. SpaceX needs to make a statement to end it, even if there is a VERY remote possibility of outside sources involved in this accident. So far they are speaking like engineers and scientist, but that language does not translate very well to the general public.

Enemy Drone, Laser Weapon Destroyed SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket, Elon Musk Now Believes

That article forgot one thing: quoting or linking to where or when Elon said what the link/title of the claims. "Enemy Drone, Laser Weapon Destroyed SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket, Elon Musk Now Believes". The only two sources I found was the original article in Washington Post that I linked to in the other thread, and one conspiracy youtube video where someone calls the flyby bird for "a drone".

I do not think Elon or SpaceX has to make any statement based on every conspiracy theories put on youtube or fantasy stories put out by media. Until they have ruled out that sabotage was the reason for this explosion, it would be a lie to publicly state that it was not sabotage. As long as it is unknown it is right to state that it is unknown. And they have not accused anyone for doing any sabotage - yet.

Well, it's certainly plausible. Unfortunately it is much easier to destroy value than to create it, and even more so when the value is concentrated in one place.

If I were to venture into tinfoil-hat territory, I wouldn't be looking at SpaceX competitors like ULA or Blue Origin, or at Musk ex-wives. Facebook had a massive satellite on that rocket. Who would be most threatened by that satellite making it safely into orbit? Google!

(No, I don't actually suspect Google of wrongdoing -- but what a great movie that would make.)