TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Launching 21ft boat with Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Chad.smith528, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Chad.smith528

Chad.smith528 Member

TMC-
    Need your help. Taking model X out to river and will use it to launch a 21ft ski boat. All videos are or towing. Nothing of value for launching.
    Need tips and reassurances.

Concerns
    Water intrusion of car tires need to get wet to put boat in water
    Electrical concerns
    Slipping on ramp

Please help

• Like x 1
  2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  3. spectrum

spectrum Member

1. Model X tires aren't much different than any other heavy vehicle. If your tires allow water inside, they probably won't be able to keep air inside, which is a bigger problem.
    2. No, you won't shock the entire lake.
    3. Model X weighs like 8 million pounds, has AWD, and rear-wheel parking brake. It won't go anywhere unless it's more than 50% underwater.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

Generally speaking, backing boat into water shouldn't be any different than driving in rain.
    Now, trying to float rear-end is a different story. But most everything should be shielded, so I wouldn't worry much.
    Hopefully the vehicle traction control will make it a much better experience than other vehicles.

5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Lol lol :eek::p

6. dethman

dethman Member

If you hear a buzz and all the fish in the lake float up to the surface dead... You've backed up the model x too far.

• Funny x 4
  7. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I haven’t launched a boat. But I did ford a flooded road (visual estimation of 12-18”) with my AP1 - not recommended for safety reasons, but was unavoidable for me. The car handled it like a champ. No slipping, no electrical concerns, no water intrusion into the car, No errors.

• Informative x 1
  8. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler It refuels itself. On wind power. While I sleep.

Condition the rubber at the door seals and have at it. In fact condition all that rubber anyway, never know when it will rain/flood. Don’t forget the frunk.

Check suspension and half-axles’ grease pack (is that the right terminology?) regularly if you’re towing and/or launching/swimming.

• Like x 1
  9. spectrum

spectrum Member

I've never heard this before — but am curious. What product(s) do you use to condition the rubber seals?

10. spectrum

spectrum Member

Somewhere on the internet, the spidey senses of @Barklikeadog began tingling.

• Funny x 2
  11. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler It refuels itself. On wind power. While I sleep.

At the risk of being shamed and told “that’s the WRONG STUFF to use,” LOL,
    I use THIS.

12. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

After taking advice from forums to use lithium grease, 404, etc. I finally came across Shin Etsu Silicone Grease as an OEM product for rubber seals from Honda. I started using it on my Honda way back and just kept using it since then on all my cars

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-08798-9013-Silicone-Grease/dp/B00GD49GTS

• Helpful x 1
  13. MrShakeHands

MrShakeHands Member

I forget which thread, but I remember reading someone doing a 1 person launch where they used summon from inside the boat to launch by themselves :D

• Love x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. cwied

cwied Member

Time to post this video again?

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yep. A member of our Owners Club does this. Gets the boat part way down the ramp, jumps in the boat and uses Summon to back it the rest of the way in, and when the boat floats off with him in it, he uses Summon to drive the car and now empty trailer back up the ramp. Doesn't even have to get his feet wet!

• Like x 4
    • Love x 4
    • Funny x 1
  16. mu71rd

mu71rd Member

Launching from a Tesla should be no different from launching with any other car. I always used the policy of never getting beyond the tires into the water (never the alloys/discs/bodywork). If it's salt water don't even consider it. Model X is AWD so will have no difficulty with traction.

If you can't get the boat in deep enough on towbar to float it off, then stop the car near the water, apply brake to or chock the trailer, drop jockey wheel, unhitch, drive forward a bit (away from trailer) and tie a rope around the frame of the trailer and loop rope around the towball. Release chocks/brakes from trailer and slowly release it into the water using the rope. It's only 21ft - you can do that by hand, and frankly if it runs off at speed it doesn't matter as as soon as the boat's in the water the trailer will stop. Float the boat off the trailer and then tow the trailer back out using the rope. Brake trailer, reverse back and hitch back up. drive off.

There's never any reason to put a car in the water, unless it's literally a launch vehicle and you don't care about it at all.

17. mu71rd

mu71rd Member

just re-read some of the replies. don't know if the person talking about door seals is joking, but just don't go there. totally unnecessary.

18. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

The battery and drive unit are sealed tighty. In fact the Tesla will survive in a lot of shallow waters where other ICE vehicles would stall out. (not speaking from experience or anything ;))

Obviously dont drive into water, but dont freak out about the occasional water. If an ICE can handle it, Tesla def can.

19. Mrcook4590

Mrcook4590 Member

WOW!!!