Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launching 21ft boat with Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TMC-
Need your help. Taking model X out to river and will use it to launch a 21ft ski boat. All videos are or towing. Nothing of value for launching.
Need tips and reassurances.

Concerns
Water intrusion of car tires need to get wet to put boat in water
Electrical concerns
Slipping on ramp

Please help

1. Model X tires aren't much different than any other heavy vehicle. If your tires allow water inside, they probably won't be able to keep air inside, which is a bigger problem.
  2. No, you won't shock the entire lake.
  3. Model X weighs like 8 million pounds, has AWD, and rear-wheel parking brake. It won't go anywhere unless it's more than 50% underwater.

Generally speaking, backing boat into water shouldn't be any different than driving in rain.
Now, trying to float rear-end is a different story. But most everything should be shielded, so I wouldn't worry much.
Hopefully the vehicle traction control will make it a much better experience than other vehicles.

TMC-
Need your help. Taking model X out to river and will use it to launch a 21ft ski boat. All videos are or towing. Nothing of value for launching.
Need tips and reassurances.

Concerns
Water intrusion of car tires need to get wet to put boat in water
Electrical concerns
Slipping on ramp

Please help

I haven’t launched a boat. But I did ford a flooded road (visual estimation of 12-18”) with my AP1 - not recommended for safety reasons, but was unavoidable for me. The car handled it like a champ. No slipping, no electrical concerns, no water intrusion into the car, No errors.

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum
Condition the rubber at the door seals and have at it. In fact condition all that rubber anyway, never know when it will rain/flood. Don’t forget the frunk.

Check suspension and half-axles’ grease pack (is that the right terminology?) regularly if you’re towing and/or launching/swimming.

Reactions: Kacey Green
  • Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I forget which thread, but I remember reading someone doing a 1 person launch where they used summon from inside the boat to launch by themselves :D

Yep. A member of our Owners Club does this. Gets the boat part way down the ramp, jumps in the boat and uses Summon to back it the rest of the way in, and when the boat floats off with him in it, he uses Summon to drive the car and now empty trailer back up the ramp. Doesn't even have to get his feet wet!

Launching from a Tesla should be no different from launching with any other car. I always used the policy of never getting beyond the tires into the water (never the alloys/discs/bodywork). If it's salt water don't even consider it. Model X is AWD so will have no difficulty with traction.

If you can't get the boat in deep enough on towbar to float it off, then stop the car near the water, apply brake to or chock the trailer, drop jockey wheel, unhitch, drive forward a bit (away from trailer) and tie a rope around the frame of the trailer and loop rope around the towball. Release chocks/brakes from trailer and slowly release it into the water using the rope. It's only 21ft - you can do that by hand, and frankly if it runs off at speed it doesn't matter as as soon as the boat's in the water the trailer will stop. Float the boat off the trailer and then tow the trailer back out using the rope. Brake trailer, reverse back and hitch back up. drive off.

There's never any reason to put a car in the water, unless it's literally a launch vehicle and you don't care about it at all.

The battery and drive unit are sealed tighty. In fact the Tesla will survive in a lot of shallow waters where other ICE vehicles would stall out. (not speaking from experience or anything ;))

Obviously dont drive into water, but dont freak out about the occasional water. If an ICE can handle it, Tesla def can.