Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launching 4900 lb boat with 1200 lb trailer with MXP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone used their Model X to launch a boat + trailer that weighs in over 5,000 lbs?

Our new boat + trailer weighs 6200 lbs and will be stored at a dry dock spot at the marina. My 2019 Model X Raven Performance would (possibly) be used to slowly and carefully move the boat a couple hundred feet to drop it in the water, take it out of the water and return it to its spot.

If we take it to another lake I would use a friend’s truck or rent one. Just hoping not to have to do this anytime we want to launch (we are on the wait list for a wet slip and also have a Cybertruck on order).

Launching shouldn't be a problem, as long as you don't jerk the trailer around -- as you said, slowly and carefully! Pulling the boat out may be more of an issue, since you'll have to climb the ramp, and there may be additional weight from any water in the hull. I suspect you'll be well within any tolerance limit, as long as you take it very easy. Make sure your tongue weight is not more than 500 lbs. Lastly, I'm assuming 20" wheels, since the 22" wheels have much lower towing weight limits.

Reactions: RNHurt
I have a related question; how well can the MX handle being partially submerged while launching/retrieving the boat? I'm not a boat person but I've watched several launches in my life, and usually the back of the launch vehicle ends up in the water. Is this a concern with a Tesla? I know the batteries are sealed but what about the rear motor? Another reason I ask is because I've watched some YouTube content with flooded Tesla vehicles and the motors are often rusted and no longer functional.

I have a related question; how well can the MX handle being partially submerged while launching/retrieving the boat? I'm not a boat person but I've watched several launches in my life, and usually the back of the launch vehicle ends up in the water. Is this a concern with a Tesla? I know the batteries are sealed but what about the rear motor? Another reason I ask is because I've watched some YouTube content with flooded Tesla vehicles and the motors are often rusted and no longer functional.
Absolutely agree. Every boat I’ve launched with my Land Cruiser has my rear end in the water and exhaust pipe submerged. I even have a diff breather because that is submerged as well. Some trailers have extended tongues to help keep the vehicle from barely touching the water but these are generally for pretty big boats. Mine were wakeboard boats, so a shorter tongue.

• Informative
All boats ramps are variable on ramp angle, water depth and some can be very slippery from algae(A/T tires are key here) or if they aren’t grooved for traction. Personally, I would not use a Tesla to launch a boat but I’m sure some do it anyways. Just make sure you’re launching in fresh water lakes, as apparently EV batteries and salt water don’t mix well together and the salt will destroy the rear motor.

Got it. The stock Tesla hitch on a 2020 MX is good for towing trailers and such but don't use it to put a boat (jetski, etc.) in the water.
Yeah just from what people have observed with towing even a regular old travel trailer close to the max load, it's just not a very sturdy setup compared to the aftermarket frame rail/crash bar mounted ones with a fixed drawbar receiver - but otherwise for a very short slow trip I would think it's *probably* fine, so long as you can really actually be gentle with it

Leaving aside the rear drive unit, the battery is NOT sealed from positive water pressure, it's just sealed against atmospheric pressure and the breather valves will allow water into the battery if you submerge it - so yeah, avoid that

Last edited:
Leaving aside the rear drive unit, the battery is NOT sealed from positive water pressure, it's just sealed against atmospheric pressure and the breather valves will allow water into the battery if you submerge it - so yeah, avoid that
Oh, I did not know that the batteries weren't sealed from positive water pressure. Is this on all Tesla's or just the MX? I guess that means you shouldn't forde a small stream or even enter that tall water that collects under the bridge after a storm.

The only way I would launch a boat with a Tesla would be if the tongue was long enough to keep the car COMPLETELY clear of the water. So that’s gonna be a no.

I’ve used mine to tow a Jeep Liberty diesel thousands of miles, but that’s on dry land. It did fine with that, with the obvious tragic range. But this isn’t a submarine, not taking it into water seems like the best plan.

• Informative
Reactions: Richbot and RNHurt