Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Launching - Premium hard cooler for Model 3 trunk well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks and great question. Yes ice eventually melts even in a high performing cooler. We thought about adding a drain plug but no we didn't. Why? It's small enough to be dumped and we worried more about the damage it could do to the car if the plug wasn't used right. Lid is a decent strainer as well. We didn't see an upside in having a drain plug. In testing we haven't wished for it, we just would have worried about it draining into the trunk well if the plug wasn't in just right. Tip: don't drain it unless you have ice to fill it back up. Cold water is better than leaving it part empty (which means part full of warm air).

We didn't realize until the prototyping stage just how comfortable it is to carry. Handles just happen to be should width apart - which is not common in many coolers as you know. I have a YouTube coming about the comfort features. Cheers!

Some re-engineering of a part is underway. Production is hard! Tesla will tell you the same thing. The part did not show it's weakness in any of the testing but for some reason it is showing in some cases now. This is not ok. We will have the new part ready in 2-3 weeks. it continually gets better. All outgoing coolers will only have the upgraded part and we have been standing behind our product.

Sorry you're having challenges. The issue may be that you have to hit "apply" once you enter the discount code. Others have had this problem. Please let me know if this helps. I will make sure you get the discount and free shipping within Canada and the US.

i hit apply and it says the code is invalid even though I just received the code. I cut and pasted it. It doesn’t work.

We'd love to and I think it would be great. Great color. Can we interest you in a Crimson Red first to match the brake calipers and Performance badge? We plan to do matching colors following the success of our first color. Please spread the word to support us. It may be a good idea to get more than one anyways.

Interesting thought. I wonder how it would compare in performance. Likely fine for food you want to keep cool but may not keep drinks as cold as you want and can do when surrounded by ice. Not sure and would need to test. Thanks for the post!

You get more efficient cooling for space and weight using dry ice or reusable gel ice packs. Putting it in the lid distributes the cold most evenly and allows you to add/replace your cold source without having to rearrange your cooler contents.

Water ice in a cooler is for amateurs.

• Informative
Reactions: cnct_coolers
Appreciate the discussions and I'm not debating. If we added it to the lid we would need to remove considerable insulation which is not desirable either. Having a cooler without an insulated lid is clearly amateur. Attaching it to the lid is always an option in future design but I love the bottle opener that is magnetized for convenience. Also adding a decent gel pack would reduce the internal height that the cooler could be impractical in capacity. We were limited in size due to the trunk well constrains. It is a practical capacity as it is but I wouldn't want less. I see your point that ice takes capacity too.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Amazon has some really nice coolers that fit perfectly for much less $, and you can get them in whatever color you want!
We are in the premium cooler market segment offering better thermal performance. We are also made in the USA, custom fit for a Tesla Model 3 trunk well and custom Tesla inspired handles. So clearly yes there are less expensive options but I don't think we are comparing similar products in performance and fit. That's ok as they are at different price points.

Reactions: GWord
Is there a typo on your website for the weight rating? Or will filling the cooler with water break the cooler?

From your FAQ page,
cooler can hold the weight of 27 lbs which is much more than the water, ice, or beverages that you can carry in it.
But the advertised capacity is 17 L and 17L of water weighs quite a bit more than 27 lbs.

Is there a typo on your website for the weight rating? Or will filling the cooler with water break the cooler?

From your FAQ page,
But the advertised capacity is 17 L and 17L of water weighs quite a bit more than 27 lbs.

Thanks for the question. The bottom line is that the cooler is tested and can hold full capacity of water - not that anyone would commonly carry water but it is a gauge to ensure it can hold the weight if you did. You're right the weight doesn't make sense and we will take a look at it. Thanks kindly for pointing this out.