TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Laval / Montreal Service Charges Ontario Residents Quebec Taxes

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Doug_G, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

#1 Doug_G, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    Just a heads up - I'm paying to have a couple of rims replaced (ouch), and charged me GST + QST. Turns out there's a couple of CRA rules that give somewhat contradictory answers.

Final resolution from CRA is that we have to pay QST if you use valet service. If they had used a third party shipping company then the lower Ontario HST would have been payable. So if, for example, I had bought wheels and they shipped them to me, then I'd pay the lower HST; but because they mounted them on the car and delivered the car by valet, I pay QST.

Quebec GST 5% + QST 9.975% = 14.975%

Ontario HST = 13%

Difference = 1.975%

So if you get your car serviced in Quebec, and they valet the car, you'll pay the higher Quebec taxes.

Not a huge big deal, amounts to something like $70, but it's a little cheaper if you get your car serviced in Ontario!

2. Knobby

Knobby Member

So you're having the delivered to you in Ontario?

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Valet service. They pick up and deliver.

4. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

By Dorval, do you mean Laval, or are you referring to a new service location in the Montreal area?

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Doh, brain fart. Corrected to read Laval.