Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Law Change - Texas front license plate no longer required?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 911 Turbo without a front license plate and have driven it in Houston and Austin and have never been pulled over for it. I received a speeding ticket once, but the cop didn't seem to care about the license plate. I hear the code among most cops is that they won't ticket nice cars unless you are really asking for it. I've hadsome friends even get pulled over for speeding in nice cars and thecops actually let them go. I think the Tesla will get you the same treatment. My view is if you can afford a car like the Tesla, you can afford to keep your car looking nice and pay the $200 ticket if you happen to get one. Though I think this is mostly true in the big cities in TX. It may not fly among the smalltown cops who will look for any chance to raise money for their towns.

As you probably know by now: missing a front plate is a class C misdemeanor, but the $200 penalty was removed by accident by the legislature. (oops)

I've only had rear plates on all three of our cars for the fifteen plus years we've lived in Texas and have never been cited for missing the front plates. This legislation for permanently removing the front plate requirement is pending this year again: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=83R&Bill=HB657

As far as I know, most pertinent parties actually support the bill (and previous versions that have not come to a vote in Austin). The DMV suggests the annual savings are greater than $6 million a year, so it is a somewhat significant number.

This isn't as significant as the other legislation Tesla buyers would like to see passed in Austin, but I bet this one has broader support.

The Legislature tried unsuccessfully to change the law. A front license plate is still required. I have been driving dirty for 10 years. I have been stopped twice in my Corvette. They can give you a ticket and it gets recorded, but they can not issue a fine. I recently had to get new plates. I destroyed the new front plate and threw it in the trash. I will never put a license plate on the front of my Tesla. I see C5 Corvettes with front license plates and they look like sin. They look even worse on C6 Corvettes.

I have lived in Austin for 18 years without a front license plate. I have never been pulled over for it. I HAVE been pulled over for expired sticker or speeding, but they didn't say a thing about the front license plate. No WAY would I put a front plate on a model S.