Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lawn mowers and gardening equipment pollution: Why are ICE engines still legal in California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recently been shopping for a new tractor. I attempted to contact Solectrac, which is located about 45 minutes from me, but over the course of two weeks, received no response to multiple inquiries. I decided to give up and ordered a John Deere diesel, which was really disappointing. However, I figured that if the company couldn't get back to me for a sale, support might be an issue.

Today I finally received a response from them. Go figure. I still may go check them out. I only use about 5 gallons of diesel a year on my property, so it's not a huge amount of fossil fuel, but my tractor is my last fossil fuel implement. It would be great to go electric.

It would be nice if states would use electric mowers to mow roadsides and grass along highways. If a company can build an electric backhoe to run for 8 hours then they can build a large battery powered mowing tractor

highway mowers go for days and days without being near a charging location. At least the crews I see around here. They mow, get left overnight, and keep mowing the next day.

Reactions: Big Earl

Every camping trip reminds me how much I hate generators. Most of the time they could be easily replaced by a $100 solar panel and a small inverter. I've seen people running generators to charge head lamps and iPhones;
The lack of noisy generators is a reason to celebrate the increasing number of campgrounds with RV pedestals. Besides the obvious: the ability to plug-in an EV. Most state park campgrounds that I've visited (in fourteen states) have them and even a few national parks. I've been told that there are a few Forest Service campgrounds with RV pedestals now, although I haven't seen it myself.

Rvparky.com is a good source for finding such campgrounds because you can filter the results for public parks and electric service. I find that state parks are usually nicer than commercial RV parks, due to more spacious campsites.

Last edited:

California moves to ban sale of gas-powered lawn mowers and leaf blowers​

Was just commenting to my wife on a walk last evening on this topic. A landscaper was working at the time with a leaf blower and could smell noxious fumes a few houses away and no wind. Were commenting about how a worker, only inches away, what the effects of morbidity and mortality of someone who does this 5+ days a week. Legislating away such things is worth it alone for worker health.

California moves to ban sale of gas-powered lawn mowers and leaf blowers​

“Gallon for gallon, these engines pollute at a substantially higher rate than other equipment and vehicles,” Berman said in presenting the bill earlier this year. The bill was supported by a coalition of groups, including the American Lung Association in California, Sierra Club California and the Union of Concerned Scientists.

“There are zero-emission equivalents to all (small off-road engines) that are regulated by the California Air Resources Board, generally electric alternatives that run on batteries or plug into an outlet. Many users, including over half of household users, have already begun the transition to zero-emission equipment,” the coalition said in a statement of support for the bill.

Reactions: mspohr

A bill is now on Governor Gavin Newsom’s desk that could disproportionately impact families in the Central Valley and nearby foothill and mountain communities. Assembly Bill 1346 would end the production of gas-powered small, off-road engines--used in lawn and garden equipment and generators-- by January 1, 2024.

A bill is now on Governor Gavin Newsom’s desk that could disproportionately impact families in the Central Valley and nearby foothill and mountain communities. Assembly Bill 1346 would end the production of gas-powered small, off-road engines--used in lawn and garden equipment and generators-- by January 1, 2024.
Generators, thats NUTS!

The actual text says:

43018.11.​

(a) (1) By July 1, 2022, the state board shall, consistent with federal law, adopt cost-effective and technologically feasible regulations to prohibit engine exhaust and evaporative emissions from new small off-road engines, as defined by the state board. Those regulations shall apply to engines produced on or after January 1, 2024, or as soon as the state board determines is feasible, whichever is later.
(2) In determining technological feasibility pursuant to paragraph (1), the state board shall consider all of the following:
(A) Emissions from small off-road engines in the state.
(B) Expected timelines for zero-emission small off-road equipment development.
(C) Increased demand for electricity from added charging requirements for more zero-emission small off-road equipment.
(D) Use cases of both commercial and residential lawn and garden users.
(E) Expected availability of zero-emission generators and emergency response equipment.
(b) Consistent with the regulations adopted pursuant to this section and relevant state law, the state board shall identify, and, to the extent feasible, make available, funding for commercial rebates or similar incentive funding as part of any updates to existing, applicable funding program guidelines for districts to implement to support the transition to zero-emission small off-road equipment operations.

Hopefully the state board finds it is not feasible (in the near term) for small generators. While there are battery packs, powerwall, and "solar generators" I think it might be too quick for all communities in the state. Maybe banning under/at 1kW? 3kW? I imagine stationary generators for houses could made to have tighter emissions than your run of the mill weed wacker.
I think the lawn equipment is the more important and lower hanging fruit here. Hopefully this state board feels the same way...

On a recent visit to Home Depot a few weeks ago in Soquel, California (in Santa Cruz county), the electric landscaping tools available have blossomed! There are lineups of a variety of tools (perhaps full lineups??) from Ryobi, DeWalt, Makita, and Rigid! I do not know their quality, but since they massively post-date the lineup I got from the older Ego brand, they might have taken advantage of newer developments and knowledge. But they have a healthy variety of options to try out.

Unfortunately, I think all their battery systems are incompatible, so once you get one charger setup, you are kind of stuck with that until you invest into another charger setup. I recommend people start reading reviews to see which ones to buy!

Now we can start to see the second generation of consumer electric landscaping tools and how well they do. I am looking forward to hearing the reviews and experience. Since they seem to have been put on store shelves during the post-COVID economic downturn, this will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to be adopted and tested.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
Generators, thats NUTS!
That's my concern: backup generators could be used to enable a transition to cleaner energy: Adopting solar panels and home battery backup is expensive and doing a smart economically affordable installation currently does not bridge the dark stormy periods; generators could fill in for the gaps while everyone is ramping up solar and home battery installations. By not allowing backup generators, this can slow the transition to cleaner energy adoption. Leave it to Democrats to actually do the opposite of everything they claim they will do. I really wish we were allowed to install our own battery and solar panel installations without requiring licensed electricians and the like. The labor cost required by regulations are 2/3rds the cost of any system, and that is hindering solar and battery adoption.

That's my concern: backup generators could be used to enable a transition to cleaner energy: Adopting solar panels and home battery backup is expensive and doing a smart economically affordable installation currently does not bridge the dark stormy periods; generators could fill in for the gaps while everyone is ramping up solar and home battery installations. By not allowing backup generators, this can slow the transition to cleaner energy adoption. Leave it to Democrats to actually do the opposite of everything they claim they will do. I really wish we were allowed to install our own battery and solar panel installations without requiring licensed electricians and the like. The labor cost required by regulations are 2/3rds the cost of any system, and that is hindering solar and battery adoption.

..... you've clearly never been camping in a wonderful secluded area only to be forced to listen to a generator from another camp 1000' away drone on all night so they can charge a pair of iPhones.....

On a recent visit to Home Depot a few weeks ago in Soquel, California (in Santa Cruz county), the electric landscaping tools available have blossomed! There are lineups of a variety of tools (perhaps full lineups??) from Ryobi, DeWalt, Makita, and Rigid! I do not know their quality, but since they massively post-date the lineup I got from the older Ego brand, they might have taken advantage of newer developments and knowledge. But they have a healthy variety of options to try out.

Unfortunately, I think all their battery systems are incompatible, so once you get one charger setup, you are kind of stuck with that until you invest into another charger setup. I recommend people start reading reviews to see which ones to buy!

Now we can start to see the second generation of consumer electric landscaping tools and how well they do. I am looking forward to hearing the reviews and experience. Since they seem to have been put on store shelves during the post-COVID economic downturn, this will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to be adopted and tested.
TMC members may be interested in this Electrek site which highlights current Green Deals on outdoor power equipment, batteries, lights, etc.

Reactions: mspohr
Not sure how a generator would help with the transition. Are you proposing off-grid systems?
What gap would be filled by a generator (with more pollution) that the grid would not fill?
Having a generator would just lead to more fossil fuel use.

Reactions: nwdiver
I really wish we were allowed to install our own battery and solar panel installations without requiring licensed electricians and the like.
I have pulled owner builder permits for two self installs in two separate jurisdictions in California. The last one came in around $2 per Watt. Unfortunately NEC 2020 now requires UL approved battery storage systems few of which can be self installed.