Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lawrence supercharger change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit we don't use Superchargers much, but we did last night only needing about 10kwh extra each way.
That being said we arrived with 15% and we where going downtown for a show. Thought we would do a 25min stop and head down. Got to the chargers and to my surprise there where 5 stalls free. We plugged in and waited for the power to ramp up, and it didn't. The supercharger peaked at 69-70 kwh and wouldn't go 1 lick over 70. Strange, so we moved to a shared stall. That only got us 34-35kwh exactly half what we just had.
I ended up going over to another stall and again maxed out at 69-70 kwh. Because I was not expecting to be charging so slow we left without completing the required charge, went to the show and came back on the way home. Only to find the same situation.

I found it ironic as I believe I had read that the new "Urban Superchargers" put out 70 kwh. I am sure Tesla had limited the supercharger has it could never get over 70 at all, never flickered to 71 even.

As anyone else noticed this, I feel like it's an attempt to get fewer people to use Lawrence as a location with all the new locations coming online. The car still says Lawrence is 120kwh charger though

I charged at Toronto on Saturday and saw the consistent 36 kw

Was told by an employee 'its because its cold'.

In any event 36 kw was enough to deliver a rate of about 250 km/h which to be is fine when I'm already at half battery.

Charged at Port Hope too when I was at about 3% and gained 150 kms in 14 minutes!
20171102_224024.jpg

20171102_224113.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Actually, I like the slower rates. Gives me more time to enjoy a nice meal and not have to worry about idling charges!
Why would you disagree? Am I missing something?
The lower the KW, surely the longer the charging?
Again, great for enjoying a meal without having to come back to the car.
Another option is to use the app and extend charging by giving the car a full 100 percent charge if you are still eating. It will take at least another half hour but you probably will only need an extra ten minutes or so to finish your meal!

• Disagree
Reactions: wallstguy
Why would you disagree? Am I missing something?
The lower the KW, surely the longer the charging?
Again, great for enjoying a meal without having to come back to the car.
Another option is to use the app and extend charging by giving the car a full 100 percent charge if you are still eating. It will take at least another half hour but you probably will only need an extra ten minutes or so to finish your meal!
Some of us have places to be..

This makes no sense.....Go out and unplug if you're not done your meal and come back.

The rest of us don't need 1hr+ to "enjoy a meal" at whats usually near a fast food place lol
I one hundred percent vehemently disagree with your views on this.
Do you realize how inconvenient it is to leave your supper table to go out and unplug and then move the car? Wow!
Also, most restaurants or at least a lot of them, are not fast food joints near the Superchargers. A lot of us enjoy having a nice meal!

• Disagree
Reactions: Doug_G
Yes yes you're the disagree champion. We'll make you a belt.

You realise youre arguing with multiple people, advocating slower charging times right? Are you joking?

Maybe one of the funniest things I've ever heard on an electric car forum.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-11-30-22-41-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-11-30-22-41-51.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited: