Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Laws regulating sale of electricity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
I've heard that in some states, you are not allowed to sell electricity unless you are a "power company" (or some other reason), so Tesla and others bill by the minute instead.

These laws might make sense when electricity is used for homes/apartments/offices/factories, but obviously not when it is sold as a replacement for gasoline. People who setup charging infrastructure would in some cases want to make a profit, just like a gas stations does.

What are the states that have these restrictions, and what other regulations exist around the re-sale of electricity in such a scenarion?

Don't be too excited to get per-kWh pricing if you're in a state that has per-minute charging. Every time I've come across a station that charges by the kWh here in the Midwest (Illinois and Colorado), it's something around 25 cents per kWh. If you do quick charges keeping the battery at less than 60% to keep the kW rate high, the per-minute locations end up and cost something like 11 cents per kWh. On my trip to Colorado this summer, I charged as little as possible in CO, getting back to Kansas "on fumes" because the Supercharger rates in Colorado were over 2x the electricity rate in Kansas. The same was the case for the handful of stops I've done in Illinois.