Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lawsuit over FSD claims allowed to proceed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's true. But the agreement does NOT define the FSD in any way. It just says "full self-driving".

In this case the court will have to fall back on how to interpret that given the general knowledge of the parties.
Definition of "Full": adjective - not lacking or omitting anything; complete.

Elon needs to start refunding money or change the name to driver assistant.

Definition of "Full": adjective - not lacking or omitting anything; complete.

Elon needs to start refunding money or change the name to driver assistant.

Likewise, Diaper Genie needs to refund all their customers who have not been granted wishes.

McDonalds needs to refund all Happy Meal buyers whose mood did not improve.

Radio Flyer needs to refund everyone since their wagons neither receive radio NOR fly.

Southwest owes a lot of refunds as they sometimes fly north.

....orrrrrrrrrrr.... people understand product names are not always literal. Especially when for say FSD a specific description of their features is included during the ordering process making it clear what it does, and does not, actually do.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Likewise, Diaper Genie needs to refund all their customers who have not been granted wishes.

McDonalds needs to refund all Happy Meal buyers whose mood did not improve.

Radio Flyer needs to refund everyone since their wagons neither receive radio NOR fly.

Southwest owes a lot of refunds as they sometimes fly north.

....orrrrrrrrrrr.... people understand product names are not always literal. Especially when for say FSD a specific description of their features is included during the ordering process making it clear what it does, and does not, actually do.
By this logic you could sell something called Full Electric Vehicle that's actually a hybrid.

No that’s incorrect. Order agreement clauses do not absolve statutory & common law legal obligations.
Or in more simple terms, a company cannot absolve itself of responsibility by writing something in a contract
How is the plaintiff going to prove what an advisor told him? Other wise it’s just heresy and The contract is the only real evidence. Musk tweets maybe, but I don’t think that is gonna hold up on court.

You mean like Toyota did when they were advertising their "self charging" hybrids?

Also, since folks complain about the Autopilot name- did you know it was originally used by Chrysler? In 1958? It was the name of their dumb cruise control system.
At least the car is technically self-charging though I admit that makes it sound like some sort of perpetual motion machine. Is Toyota still advertising that way? I take it that they got a lot of criticism.
Autopilot is much less clearly defined for cars than self-driving which before FSD meant a car capable of driving itself. It just seems deceptive to take a term that already exists, add "Full" to the front of it and then say what you actually mean is "Not."

GM used the term autopilot in 1956 for a future self-driving system:
1628657433651.png

You mean like Toyota did when they were advertising their "self charging" hybrids?

Also, since folks complain about the Autopilot name- did you know it was originally used by Chrysler? In 1958? It was the name of their dumb cruise control system.
I've never had an issue with the name autopilot. I'm not a pilot, but I have a basic understanding of what autopilot in avionics does, and it seems the systems are comparable.

But this thread is about FSD. And I hate to admit it but I think that it could very well have a legal standing. Elon's comments throughout the years leave very little open to interpretation, and the fact is that they didn't deliver. The name FSD implies self driving, self driving implies a lot; including the car taking over liability, or eventually being able to take over liability.

It seems with FSD, and the current hardware, we should get a highly advanced ADAS eventually. But robo-taxies aren't happening on current hardware, despite Elon making very clear and unambiguous claims about that in order to sell cars.

Selfishly I don't want these cases to go anywhere. I'd like Tesla to focus on building what they can. But I think we shouldn't forget about the people who spent thousands of dollars over the past 4 years, who are unlikely to get what they were promised.

For me, I'm fine with robo-taxies not happening, and I'd feel fine with paying $10k for an advanced, low-to-no disengagement ADAS, yet not being able to sleep in the back of my car (while its driving). But I had the benefit of making that choice after seeing where Tesla was at with their peomises made in 2017. The people back then didn't have the benefit of hindsight. I personally think they got screwed.

I've never had an issue with the name autopilot. I'm not a pilot, but I have a basic understanding of what autopilot in avionics does, and it seems the systems are comparable.

But this thread is about FSD. And I hate to admit it but I think that it could very well have a legal standing.

Why?

Why is the literal name any more binding than the numerous other products I mention who aren't literally the dictionary definition of the words in the product name?

Elon's comments throughout the years leave very little open to interpretation

His comments are generally forward looking aspirations- not promises about the thing you are buying today but instead "What we hope a future version will do"

The name FSD implies self driving

So do lots of marketing names for products- but again we don't hold them to that degree of literality- especially when the actual function and features are spelled out during purchase to the buyer

, self driving implies a lot; including the car taking over liability, or eventually being able to take over liability.

It seems with FSD, and the current hardware, we should get a highly advanced ADAS eventually. But robo-taxies aren't happening on current hardware, despite Elon making very clear and unambiguous claims about that in order to sell cars.

Do you have any legal evidence that'd stand up in court proving they can't happen on existing cars? Or just "The guy guessing about target dates missed his earlier target dates"?

(Note- I'm not even saying they WILL get to L4+ driving on current cars- I'm saying I don't see anything that'd act as legal PROOF THEY CAN'T yet)

For me, I'm fine with robo-taxies not happening, and I'd feel fine with paying $10k for an advanced, low-to-no disengagement ADAS, yet not being able to sleep in the back of my car (while its driving). But I had the benefit of making that choice after seeing where Tesla was at with their peomises made in 2017. The people back then didn't have the benefit of hindsight. I personally think they got screwed.

Bear in mind the 2017 FSD buyers paid as little as 2-3k for FSD--- not 10k.

And they've at least gotten a free HW3 upgrade out of the deal so far (plus the updated visualizations, and the stopsign/stoplight stuff- and, eventually, L2 city streets)

Why?

Why is the literal name any more binding than the numerous other products I mention who aren't literally the dictionary definition of the words in the product name?

His comments are generally forward looking aspirations- not promises about the thing you are buying today but instead "What we hope a future version will do"

So do lots of marketing names for products- but again we don't hold them to that degree of literality- especially when the actual function and features are spelled out during purchase to the buyer

Do you have any legal evidence that'd stand up in court proving they can't happen on existing cars? Or just "The guy guessing about target dates missed his earlier target dates"?

(Note- I'm not even saying they WILL get to L4+ driving on current cars- I'm saying I don't see anything that'd act as legal PROOF THEY CAN'T yet)

Bear in mind the 2017 FSD buyers paid as little as 2-3k for FSD--- not 10k.

And they've at least gotten a free HW3 upgrade out of the deal so far (plus the updated visualizations, and the stopsign/stoplight stuff- and, eventually, L2 city streets)
Elon stated unequivocally, multiple times, that the cars being manufactured had all of the hardware required for L5 autonomous driving. Also anything he says about robo-taxies implies at least L4. The name "FSD" doesn't matter since he spelled out specific functionality that the car would be able to perform without a driver present: namely, "all of it".

It's very clear that driverless Teslas aren't going to happen with current hardware. The beta videos, while impressive in so many ways, demonstrate some disheartening perception deficits. The cars need better, and better placed, cameras. The cars also need more compute power than even HW3, as evidence of the fact that they've cannibalized the redundant compute nodes to power the FSD beta.

The released features of FSD that were advertised in a serious manner are called a "party trick" by the CEO and drive cars into obstacles. People on this very forum say those situations are the driver's fault (???) which is its special kind of Insanity IMO.

Navigate On Autopilot also doesn't work very well at all, and most people recognize that too.

Knowing ahead of time that Elon likes to say things that are "optimistic" at best and "unknowable" at worst isn't something that's reasonable to assume a buyer would have known. To lay people, Elon is seen as an expert in the fields he participates in; why should people have known to disregard his timelines and promises as "optimistic"?

Elon stated unequivocally, multiple times, that the cars being manufactured had all of the hardware required for L5 autonomous driving. Also anything he says about robo-taxies implies at least L4. The name "FSD" doesn't matter since he spelled out specific functionality that the car would be able to perform without a driver present: namely, "all of it".

It's very clear that driverless Teslas aren't going to happen with current hardware. The beta videos, while impressive in so many ways, demonstrate some disheartening perception deficits. The cars need better, and better placed, cameras. The cars also need more compute power than even HW3, as evidence of the fact that they've cannibalized the redundant compute nodes to power the FSD beta.

The released features of FSD that were advertised in a serious manner are called a "party trick" by the CEO and drive cars into obstacles. People on this very forum say those situations are the driver's fault (???) which is its special kind of Insanity IMO.

Navigate On Autopilot also doesn't work very well at all, and most people recognize that too.

Knowing ahead of time that Elon likes to say things that are "optimistic" at best and "unknowable" at worst isn't something that's reasonable to assume a buyer would have known. To lay people, Elon is seen as an expert in the fields he participates in; why should people have known to disregard his timelines and promises as "optimistic"?
Find the word "autnomous" in any Elon tweet. Feel free to post it here. Elon has talked about "FSD" but to my knowledge, has never used autonomous full self driving. There is a difference. The cars, with current hardware, can steer, accelerate, and brake on their own, so "L2 Everywhere" would meet that - just requiring a driver ready to take over when the system can't handle an edge case. And, of course, all liability being the driver's.

That said, I purchased FSD for our '17 M3 prior to the change in language about FSD. If Tesla finally concludes the current hardware cannot do autonomous full self driving, purchasers might expect some compensation. (Our MY had FSD added in June 2020, so L2 Everywhere is what I reasonably expect for that vehicle.)

Find the word "autnomous" in any Elon tweet. Feel free to post it here. Elon has talked about "FSD" but to my knowledge, has never used autonomous full self driving. There is a difference. The cars, with current hardware, can steer, accelerate, and brake on their own, so "L2 Everywhere" would meet that - just requiring a driver ready to take over when the system can't handle an edge case. And, of course, all liability being the driver's.

That said, I purchased FSD for our '17 M3 prior to the change in language about FSD. If Tesla finally concludes the current hardware cannot do autonomous full self driving, purchasers might expect some compensation. (Our MY had FSD added in June 2020, so L2 Everywhere is what I reasonably expect for that vehicle.)
Not sure if he specifically used the word "autonomous", but he did tweet quite a few times over the last 2 years about robo taxi. He also said we'll have cross country summon. I would think he meant the cars will be full autonomous in all of those tweets, unless a robo taxi needs a monitor all the time?