Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm needing some advice and help with a current situation that may be grounds for a Class Action for all Model S and Model X owners who started their Lease anytime from April 2019 until now.

Would particularly appreciate any help from a lawyer who may know if this is some sort of violation or something and if you'd like to maybe be involved if this is.

It's a quite simple matter really, but Tesla is making it a huge issue, so wanted to share here, because although it may be small and simple, it's a huge deceptive and misleading "hidden fee" that I guarantee the majority of Model S and Model X Lease owners have no idea about. Not even the Sales Reps know/knew about it even after I told them.

It involves the End of Lease Buy Out price.

All the sales reps I spoke with via Phone in Fremont, and in Store in Southern California told me the buy out price for a Lease car is simply the Residual Value + Sales Tax. That's how my previous Tesla Lease was as well. So I got my new car delivered in August, a week later tesla emails me saying there was an electronic error with my signature and I have to sign again. I go to sign again and double check the numbers on the agreement and notice that the Residual Value is different than the Buy Out Price. I ask for them to fix it before I sign, they say no we won't, there is a new "$350 purchase fee" that is added to the buyout price now, that started in April 2019.

The Lease agreement has every single cost itemized regarding the costs of everything, but Nowhere on the agreement does it have this alleged "$350 Purchase fee" line itemized, and like I mentioned above, it was never disclosed to me beforehand even when I explicitly asked about buyout price and terms, because literally not even the Sales Reps knew about it. The only reason I found the discrepancy was by comparing the residual value to the buy out price on the agreement because my plan was/is to buy the car out at lease end.

I'm sure all other Model S/X leasees across the board were not disclosed of this fee, yet were deceivingly asked to sign off on it.

I still haven't signed the agreement out of principle that this was not what the sales rep sold me or what I agreed to, and I have been going back and forth with so many of Tesla's departments and even my sales rep to try and resolve this, but they are giving sooo much aggressive push back it's crazy. All for a $350 fee on a $100,000 car.

Given that this "purchase fee" was never disclosed in writing or verbally beforehand, plus it is not even line itemized in the Lease agreement at all besides it being baked into the buyout price, is this some sort of Disclosure Law Violation or violation at all? And if so, I feel every single Model S and Model X Leasee from April 2019 is affected and possibly victim of this misleading info/fee that may have grounds for a Class Action?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

I hear this fee is a suprise to you. Like it or not, this fee is common in Leases. When documents are executed not quite correctly, both sides have a goodwill obligation to correct them.

The car is great and with a lease you get a new one in 3 years. Sometimes I wish I had a lease to make it easier to upgrade in 2 or 3 years. Enjoy your new X.

I hear this fee is a suprise to you. Like it or not, this fee is common in Leases. When documents are executed not quite correctly, both sides have a goodwill obligation to correct them.

The car is great and with a lease you get a new one in 3 years. Sometimes I wish I had a lease to make it easier to upgrade in 2 or 3 years. Enjoy your new X.
I went over my lease agreement from 2016 and did not see a 350 dollar purchase fee, or any amount “purchase fee”