TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Layout of wires in HPWC (almost) prevents mounting it?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by GreenT, Mar 29, 2015.

1. GreenT

GreenT Member

I am installing an HPWC today. More correctly, I am putting it in position for the electrician Monday.
    Who'll have to remove it, run the wires down the pipe, add drywall, then the real deal.

When mounting the main "shell" to the bracket using the two screws provided, I note that the upper screw is very difficult to get in the corresponding bracket hole ...
    as there are black, green and red wires right up to the hole's adjacent "wall" and are very difficult to pry away.
    Anyone else had this issue?

This is the "newer" version of HPWC (I think) that went on sale for $750.

If someone were to be a little careless and pinch these (seemingly high current) wires, they might be in for a shock?
    Any pointers for my electrician? IMG_20150329_141520_234.jpg

2. whamma

whamma Member

It's pretty easy to install with a magnetized bit. If he really struggles with it and doesn't have a magnetized bit, a piece of tape just barely holding the head of the screw to the bit works. It's a poor place for the screw hole, but electricians deal with tighter stuff all the time.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

...one of the highest cursewords per hour rates you've ever seen. :)

4. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    I agree this green ground wire is placed in a very weird place and the others wire are in the way.

In the previous version of the HPWC(40-80 amps), the routing was better.

5. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

6. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    Yeah, my intall is there too.

My error too :D

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

I had the same problem today myself. Had to move the green wire out of the way and even then it was a pain to get the driver to turn the bolt as it kept on wanting to ride upon the wires to the left. Really really bad design.

Less careful electricians are going to fudge this up even more than their accidentally dropping the face with the ribbon cable still attached.

Fortunately, I was able to work around it and had no issues. It probably took an extra 15 minutes of time because of this. Electricians are going to be cursing.

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

This is actually pretty tame. Insulated 45-degree pick in the left hand to keep the wires out of the way while you tighten the screw with the right solves that easily.