TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Layout thoughts - Any reason not to propose this back to Tesla?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by run-the-joules, Oct 12, 2020.

1. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Had a look at the layout they sent over and got to thinking about it a bit more after the fact. With western/southwestern facing panels getting more intense sun, any reason not to move the panels outlined in red to the locations outlined in green? I feel like this would be more beneficial, especially with NEM2.

solar-layout.jpg

2. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Can't hurt to ask. They might have some issues with their panel mounts and closeness to the edge of the center panels.

BTW, is that a chimney to the left side? If so, would it shade the moved panels?

3. run-the-joules

Ahhhh crap, yeah. I hadn't considered the chimney. Now I'm trying to remember how tall it actually is.

4. run-the-joules

Well, monkey farts. The chimney is not exactly insubstantial.

5. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Just cut it off.:)

We can't burn wood anyway in the bay area. No use having a chimney. I have two that could be removed since our two fireplaces are gas.

6. run-the-joules

Temptation level is high… :D I'm just going by pics I took right before I bought the house, but later this week I'll get up there with a ladder and take some measurements and do some math on how much shading there'd actually be.

7. arnolddeleon

arnolddeleon Supporting Member

That's funny because I'm contemplating get a fireplace removed that we've never used. It reduced the amount of usable roof space for solar. I was researching a collapsable spark arrestor to reduce the shadow it was casting shadows on the existing panels and I then I realized I should consider removing it. Now I just to find resources.

Apropos to the original question. I'm guessing the roof planes are potential at different heights in which case the upper part of the drawing shown might be shading part of the the lower section that was avoided (upper and lower in this case in reference to the drawing, not the height of the building since don't have that information). The other thing that can be in play are required clear space. When I had my original panels installed you easily go to the edges, these days there are requirements for setbacks.

8. run-the-joules

Yeah, looks like the setbacks are the blocker here. Oh well!