Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lazy Man's Wax: Self-Service Car Wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I learned something about waxing the car recently. I usually just use ONR Wash and Shine. I drove from CA to Denver recently, and the car became incredibly dirty. I sprayed it with a hose, and it didn't make much difference.

In Denver, I got a touchless wash & wax (recommended). Driving home, the car got just as dirty, but when I sprayed it with a hose, almost all the dirt came off!

Here's my question: If I go to one of those self-service car wash bays after washing the car myself, and choose the spray wax option, will I get some of the same effect? Note that there are no touchless car washes in my area.

Would I get a much better effect with this product?

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 9.42.32 AM.jpg

I have no personal experience with self service car washes or the spray waxes that they offer. My guess is that any protection offered by the car wash spray wax would be very temporary and very minimal. Applying a ceramic spray sealant like the Mother's product you listed would provide better protection than anything sprayed on at the car wash.

My personal favorite ceramic spray sealant is Griot's Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax:

I think the Griot's Garage product would last longer than the Mother's Ceramic Spray.

When you wash your car using ONR, you can use a ceramic detailer such as Griot's Garage Ceramic Speed Shine or Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray as a drying aid while you dry the car. This will give your car a bit more gloss and the base ceramic protection a boost.

If you want the maximum protection and the ultimate ability to just hose the car off, then I would suggest a full on ceramic coating, such as Cquartz UK 3.0 or Gyeon Cancoat Evo.

• Informative
Reactions: santua and PianoAl