Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lead-Carbon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Lead-Carbon: A Game Changer for Alternative Energy Storage -- Seeking Alpha

saupload_slide2.jpg

saupload_slide1.jpg

From the article:
Frankly, I can’t see the daunting cycle-life superiority that Li-ion advocates claim. When I practiced law in Houston we affectionately called that phenomenon “all hat and no cattle.”

Cycle life advantage of LiFePO4 is clearly on the graph. Lithium lasted 6 times longer than AGM when compared by 85% charge retention mark. This is "daunting cycle-life superiority" that lithium proponents claim. But instead, Mr. Petersen ignores this fact and chooses to base his comment on just newly emerged lead carbon + supercap battery.

I also have little doubt that Li-ion will retain the supermodel prize for sleek packaging, size and weight. However, when it comes to large-scale energy storage applications like HEVs and utility support installations, size and weight are simply design issues. They are not mission critical constraints that justify paying a 150% premium for comparable performance.

:mad:

This guy is clearly biased, and has a financial stake in lead battery tech. He is a lawyer/investor type who lacks decent electrical/physics knowledge. I remember reading his article about wind power and frequency regulation, which left me with a feeling that he does not fully comprehend what he is writing about.