Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lead Recycling: the Core Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
I hadn't given any thought to the core charge as part of the national recycling program until I returned a 12v to Walmart today and was told I could not recoup the core charge. It caused me to to think about the system, why the Walmart clerk was right in his decision, and why the system is flawed.

In my case I bought a 12v from Walmart 3 years ago. At that time I presented with an old 12v bought elsewhere. I was given a core credit on the old battery and charged the same core charge on the new for a net core charge of zero. This time around I bought a 12v online and did not give them the old walmart battery. Instead I brought the Walmart battery to them today, along with a receipt that proved the battery was bought from them. The clerk noticed that my receipt showed a core charge credit and so refused to give me another one.

I think I understand the retail logic: If I pay a core charge at store 'A', store 'B' does not want to credit the core charge they did not collect. Seem reasonable from their POV.

From the standpoint of recycling it is fairly idiotic. Not only does it deny the incentive to recycle, the store is paid when it supplies the lead to recyclers.

I've read that ~ 80% of lead is recycled. That leaves a lot of lead to enter our environment and water supply. I cannot help but wonder how much of the 20% not recycled could be reclaimed with a a more sensible program that pays the core bounty at any retail store that sells batteries, no questions asked. To the retailers I say suck it up. You would be paid twice some of the time and at least once.

Last edited:
One would think someone would want the lead for the spot market value alone, about $1/lb these days.

Daily Metal Price: Lead Price Chart (USD / Troy Ounce) for the Last 3 months

Also, have heard over the years that ~99% of automotive battery lead gets recycled in the U.S. (appears similar in Europe, but less worldwide average):

Getting the Lead Out: Why Battery Recycling Is a Global Health Hazard
Lead Recycling: Substantial Investment Is Needed
Report: Recycling Rate of Lead Batteries in the U.S.

Also, have heard over the years that ~99% of automotive battery lead gets recycled in the U.S. (appears similar in Europe, but less worldwide average):

Yes, I saw similar numbers after I posted so if true (and it remains true in the internet era) my rant is a lot less important than I thought. Of course the flip side of the argument would then be that the retailers have even less reason to make a stink about paying for any automotive battery that lands on their counter.

Yeah, retail interface not well tuned to the big picture and sounds like the recycling protocol could be better. Maybe an improvement would be the federal equivalent of something like what states have for redemption of aluminum cans and plastic bottles. No proof of purchase anywhere required, just bring in the spent item.

Reactions: SageBrush
Should add, one might still need to still purchase a new battery at exchange/redemption. 12V Pb automotive batteries not nearly as valuable as our ICE brethren who sometimes find they are newly missing catalytic converters these days. Still, Pb is probably not worth the trouble for a thief.

I never buy lead-acid batteries online if it's a replacement subject to core charge. Also, traditional flooded batteries are not shippable, only sealed AGM ones are. My recent purchases of automotive batteries at Pep Boys and Costco both handled the core charge well when I changed them in the parking lot outside the store.

One would think someone would want the lead for the spot market value alone, about $1/lb these days.

Daily Metal Price: Lead Price Chart (USD / Troy Ounce) for the Last 3 months

Getting the Lead Out: Why Battery Recycling Is a Global Health Hazard
Lead Recycling: Substantial Investment Is Needed
Report: Recycling Rate of Lead Batteries in the U.S.
Yes, in the US and Europe, 99% of all lead batteries are indeed recycled. It is the most recycled product in the world. Most lit batteries are comprised of at least 80% recycled materials. That’s the lead, plastic and electrolytes.

The core charge has indeed made the 12v car battery one of the most mature recycling industries out there. E commerce does throw a wrench into things.

Wish some other things in life came with core charges that led to them becoming recycled vs trash. Might incentivize better manufacturing materials etc.

I hadn't given any thought to the core charge as part of the national recycling program until I returned a 12v to Walmart today and was told I could not recoup the core charge. It caused me to to think about the system, why the Walmart clerk was right in his decision, and why the system is flawed.

In my case I bought a 12v from Walmart 3 years ago. At that time I presented with an old 12v bought elsewhere. I was given a core credit on the old battery and charged the same core charge on the new for a net core charge of zero. This time around I bought a 12v online and did not give them the old walmart battery. Instead I brought the Walmart battery to them today, along with a receipt that proved the battery was bought from them. The clerk noticed that my receipt showed a core charge credit and so refused to give me another one.

I think I understand the retail logic: If I pay a core charge at store 'A', store 'B' does not want to credit the core charge they did not collect. Seem reasonable from their POV.

From the standpoint of recycling it is fairly idiotic. Not only does it deny the incentive to recycle, the store is paid when it supplies the lead to recyclers.

I've read that ~ 80% of lead is recycled. That leaves a lot of lead to enter our environment and water supply. I cannot help but wonder how much of the 20% not recycled could be reclaimed with a a more sensible program that pays the core bounty at any retail store that sells batteries, no questions asked. To the retailers I say suck it up. You would be paid twice some of the time and at least once.
I dont really understand what you were trying to do. you bought a battery on line which did not require a core deposit I take it since it was a online purchase it wouldn't make sense as far as shipping expenses go to send back a "core" the battery you bought online from company "x" probably doesn't deal at all with battery recycling. it sounds like you were trying to get back twice a core deposit from years back. ?