Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaders and Managers: Flashy Tesla at Work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My response to people at work who give me a sideways look is usually "dual income, no kids." I manage a half dozen people of various ages. The older folks are mostly indifferent and the younger folks are excited about Tesla and electric cars in general.

We all make decisions that impact our financial situations and I'm not really worried about what other people think. With proper planning, most people can or will be able to afford a Tesla.

Just "paid off mortgage" can be the difference.

Yeah so market matters here... I, like others, live and work in the SF Bay Area and Tesla's are everywhere... Now when I got mine they weren't quite as common and I still get some clients who roll their eyes a bit or make subtle snide comments about my hourly rate being too high allowing me to afford a Tesla... But, by and large, no one cares here anymore...

Jeff

So in early 2015, I was reacquainted with Tesla and their mission, thanks to one of my friend, contractor like me. He also had ordered. At the customer I was working for, yet another contractor told me he also ordered. I was on the fence and waiting on financial confirmation that it was from a TCO point of view not crazy. A bit above what I had (Audi A4), but doable. My last barrier was indeed “what are others and in particular customer gonna think of this”, “will this jeopardize my mission and futur opportunities “ I solved this by believing that people appreciate my skills and presence, including my ups and downs more than the car I drive.
I did have a discussion a few weeks after I ordered mine with a customer. He was not happy about the other contractor telling him about ordering a Tesla. I was embarrassed but decided to tell my story and how important it was to me to support Tesla, also financially, and by driving their product, building confidence for others. I’m not sure he was entirely convinced, but anyway, it all turned out right.

Reactions: unbelievable
I was a little concerned about it, but I don't think it was too much of a shock. My coworkers know I commute pretty far to work, that my previous car was pretty old, and that I bought a CPO. It also helped that two other coworkers around my level on different teams bought a couple Tesla CPOs in the same month, so the novelty (and ribbing) was spread around evenly.

Your avatar picture shows an AP1 car. ;)
Funny story this...I got a deal on these super cool wheels and so I posted this pic cause it was the right color with my new wheels (I actually have a 2016 Nov car with new front) wheels turned out to be QUITE a bit more agressive than expected (rim sticks out 3/8" beyond tire!!!) so I waited till i was Used to parking w stock 19's but still havent put new wheels on for fear of curbrash....someday

oh and I actually ordered the car it had AP1 spec'd, they called me 3 weeks before delivery and told me i was getting AP2 at no charge #timingiseverything

I always have owned fairly expensive cars : Audi A8, BMW 750, BMW 650 to name a few. And when someone makes a comment to me regarding my vehicles, my pat answer is:

Well, I have no wife (single here), no kids, no ex-wife, and no ex-wife with kids, the most expensive of all! So, I can't take it with me and I might as well enjoy it while I'm not drooling into a cup!

In my previous position we were 4 levels deep with Model S's. One of my front line engineers struck first, then me, then the manager between us, and finally my boss, the CTO.

Engineering salaries are pretty ridiculous, so I don't think it signaled much beyond that.

In my entire life I never justified to people why I bought a car. I've answered questions such as "how do you like the car?", "would you buy another one?", "how long does it take to charge?", "how far does it go on one charge?", "can you take me for a spin", "can I borrow it?", etc, etc. but nobody ever asked "why did you buy this car?". Do people really come up to their coworkers and ask "why did you buy this car?", or is it that some people just feel the need to preemptively explain it others, maybe thinking if the situation was reversed they would want to know why their coworker bought an expensive car?

Reactions: MarkKW
Considering I am just now starting a full time position and I am the only one in my whole building/dept who has a MS, I personally try to avoid flaunting my car. I always felt like I just don't want to deal with issues of envy or animosity. If it comes up, I always justify that I am unmarried and live at home with my Dad...I save on rent and most other expenses. But the moment I do that, I always have the urge to say.. "Thats right! I got it because I like it. This is how I decided to spend my money." ;)

As someone who is married with a large mortgage and childcare expenses for two in silicon valley, I find it funny that people use the lack of such things as justification for having the car.
Perhaps your situation is quite different than mine, but since my wife and I both retired in June, it was important to us to have our mortgage paid off before splurging on two Tesla's. If you are comfortable with a "large" mortgage and a Tesla, so be it, but that was something we never wanted as we wanted to retire in our mid 50's. Debt is NOT your friend. Never be proud that you have a lot of it.

Perhaps your situation is quite different than mine, but since my wife and I both retired in June, it was important to us to have our mortgage paid off before splurging on two Tesla's. If you are comfortable with a "large" mortgage and a Tesla, so be it, but that was something we never wanted as we wanted to retire in our mid 50's. Debt is NOT your friend. Never be proud that you have a lot of it.
Everyone is different. I know a guy who retired in his early 30's. He never owned a car, he didn't have kids before retiring, he saved his money to retire, and so he did. He's been traveling around the world with his wife and kids for a decade or so now (got married and had kids after he retired). It can be done. Personally, I like to enjoy more things in life as I feel there are things you simply can't enjoy as much as you get older. For example, while I've enjoyed a number of very nice cars, I have to say, the one I enjoyed the most was a used Totota MR2 I bought when I was 17. years old I have more fun with that $8K car than I did with $100K Porsche I bought 10 years later. Yet still, I had more fun in the Porsche than I ever did in any of the Teslas. That is not to say I don't enjoy driving a Tesla, I absolutely love it, just saying that I had more fun with cars when I was younger. There are some things which are just so much more enjoyable when you're young. I have no regrets, and yes, I have a mortgage, kids, and 2 Tesla's. I don't recommend to people whether to do the same, everyone has to decide what is best for them.

I'm in Canada, Québec where average income is 32k$/year.
Have a manager/leader role but I never drive to work, I commute by train or bike.
Haven't taken delivery of my Tesla yet (*should* be by the end of September) but I know already questions will arise around here, also considering the fact that i'm in my early 30s.
My answer will be either : none of your business or, I only have one car (most people have two here, one for summer, one for all-around/winter), and it's all electric (no more gas), I am saving 200$ per month on fuel alone (I have an Acura RDX '17 leased right now) so the Tesla is only ~300$/more per month net.

Last edited: