Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaf Blower

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not the collab we needed, but the collab we deserved :p

Screen Shot.png

Link: Elon Musk on Twitter

• Love
Reactions: LN1_Casey
I actually bought an electric leaf blower for the Tesla's. I read all these people saying that they could just blow dry the car after washing it and it is really easy. Well I tried it once....it is not easy! First of the thing is not light... holding it above the shoulder to try to dry the glass roof took a ridiculously long time. And it is so freaking loud. My wife and neighbors will kill me if I try to wash my car at 6 am in the morning on the weekend..... if I don't start before 6 the sun would be there making it much harder. So now I have no idea what to do with a leaf blower.... dual purpose huh? Interesting LOL....

• Funny
Reactions: Skipdd
I actually bought an electric leaf blower for the Tesla's. I read all these people saying that they could just blow dry the car after washing it and it is really easy. Well I tried it once....it is not easy! First of the thing is not light... holding it above the shoulder to try to dry the glass roof took a ridiculously long time. And it is so freaking loud. My wife and neighbors will kill me if I try to wash my car at 6 am in the morning on the weekend..... if I don't start before 6 the sun would be there making it much harder. So now I have no idea what to do with a leaf blower.... dual purpose huh? Interesting LOL....

I have one too. Got before Tesla. Wanted cordless, but not gas powered. Agree it’s too much hassle for drying car. Other uses - removing powdery snow - probably not in SoCal :). Drying off dogs after bath - that is worth trouble, assuming you can keep dog in one spot and not terrify them. Otherwise it’s towel dry or groomer. We have big dogs so toweling only works so well..

I have a very powerful battery operated leaf blower. They have a floor on how quiet they can get because a lot of the noise is just the air.
Does Elon realize these have been around for years? Landscapers are a whole different animal... need power + all day use.
Even if you had a trailer with a battery to charge your units... you are using it for an hour, plugging it in for 5 minutes to drive to the
next job, then using it for an hour again. Not enough charge time.

Does Elon realize these have been around for years? Landscapers are a whole different animal... need power + all day use.
Even if you had a trailer with a battery to charge your units... you are using it for an hour, plugging it in for 5 minutes to drive to the
If you had two batteries, one always charging, that might work. Might.

I took it as a joke. Leaf blower noise is *so annoying* I figured there were some loud 4 cycle (or worse, illegal in CA 2 cycle) powered leaf blowers outside of wherever Elon was holding a meeting and he got annoyed.

2 stroke leafblowers aren't illegal in CA, I got a new one 2 years ago.

I use mine all the time while wearing earmuffs.

I don't mind the sound of a 2-stroke and the smell of premix as long as it's not for a long time. I put my 2-stroke oil from my boat and add some grape flavor to the gas to make it smell good.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors

Municipal workers here in Europe use battery powered leafblowers, trimmers and stuff like that. They wear the battery pack on their back (as a backpack). Works great and especially the trimmers are way quieter than the gaspowered equivalents.

I guess its nicer to work with since they don't have to wear ear protection

Reactions: GreenT
If you had two batteries, one always charging, that might work. Might.
Elon said he is against battery swaps on leaf blowers as well as cars. His thinking on the matter of leaf blowers is that they should have integral batteries and fast charging. I dunno, I'm with you, a battery swap seams the right application for this function. (I also think batter swap for cars would work well too if we could just get around the legalities of who actually "owns" the battery in the car.

It is going to be harder to ban those...California is pro immigrants. Who runs most of the gardening services around here? How are they going to charge their lawn mower and leaf blower going to house to house all day long?
Carry more than one battery. Create a lockable recharge rack to place the batteries in. The batteries (through the rack) can recharge from the truck engine and/or be plugged in at night. The rack can show a SOC under each battery. Instead of pouring gas, you just swap out a battery with a charged one in the rack.
I'm not sure how the economics work out. I suspect a high initial buy-in cost, but a lower long-term cost.