Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaf completes 230 mile autonomous drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

malcolm

Nov 12, 2006
Nissan Leaf completed the UK's longest and most complex autonomous journey - HumanDrive

The Grand Drive journey was successfully completed on 28th November 2019, with two engineers on board and monitoring the vehicle’s actions at all times. Both were fully trained to conduct autonomous vehicle testing, with one behind the wheel and ready to take control if required, and the second supervising the car’s control and monitoring systems. The Grand Drive journey was also conducted with the knowledge and support of all relevant highway authorities.

No details on the number of disengagements.

nissan-leaf-autonomous-uk-journey-1920.jpg

I just watched that and noticed it featured someone that I worked on a project with. It wouldn't be fair for me guess what their involvement was, but lets say, it wouldn't surprise me if the route had been meticulously modeled.

If you search for Mobileye on youtube you will see how the system works. From memory they have mapping six million kilometres per hour from their motor partners and have mapped virtually all of Europe. Their channel shows a car being driven in heavy traffic avoiding opening doors and poorly parking cars as well as aggressively making a turn as a human would do. It does show that Tesla's FSD has a long way to go yet.