TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Leaf -vs- Volt

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by doug, Jun 30, 2011.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

[place holder post]

In an effort to clean up some of the model specific threads, I've created a few comparison threads. Feel free to go ahead and use them. When we get a chance we'll try to move some past comparison posts to one of these new threads.

(The idea here is to not have a bunch of Volt posts in the Leaf thread or Plug-in Prius posts in the Volt thread, etc. :smile:)

2. howabout2

howabout2 Member

The brain says Leaf. The eye says Volt.

3. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Funny, I was going to say the opposite. If I had to get one of them, my brain would choose the Volt because the Leaf have way too low range for us. But I think the Leaf looks much better.

4. richkae

richkae VIN587

As the 2nd car of a 2 car family: Leaf.
    As your only car: depends on your driving needs.

5. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I only see one EV, so that's the winner. :biggrin:

6. user497

user497 Member

I agree 100%. That's why the Leaf vs. Volt comparisons in a vacuum don't make any sense. If you already have a car you can take on a long distance and your commute is under 80 miles round trip, a Leaf makes a ton of sense. If you only have 1 car, then it depends on your driving patterns but generally this would favor a Volt. I strongly believe that the EV makers should strongly push on making all 2 car families have an EV as their 2nd car.

7. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Actually, don't most people do most drives within the Leaf's range? In those cases, the Leaf would be the 1st car and something that can do the occasional longer drives would be the 2nd.

What's kind of interesting is reading through the Volt Forums (gm-volt.com) from all the people talking how they haven't used any gas in weeks or months and many hundreds, even thousands of miles. Essentially, they're living with an EV that has only a 40 mile range! And, the Leaf has twice that range. Volt owners are even getting worried about having the gas in the tank go stale! Maybe as more and more people drive Volts and see what they actually use, they'll start to realize that they don't really want the expense, maintenance, and weight of that IC drivetrain in their EV vehicle.

So, I think the Volt is great, as it'll help people be less anxious about Range Anxiety. And, the Leaf's great, as people who want a very usable EV have an affordable option right now.

8. GSP

GSP Member

Very well said. I haven't bought gas for nearly 4 months. The Volt has opened my eyes to the practicality of a 73-mile EV. However, I still would much rather pay extra for a 150+ mi. EV.

Volt owners don't have to worry about gas getting stale however. The fold has a special sealed, pressurized, tank to preserve the gasoline, and if you don't use it within a year the engine will start per a "fuel maintenance mode" program.

GSP

9. richkae

richkae VIN587

I have been trying to convince everyone I know that they need to buy an electric car.
    Several of them spend over $5000 per year on gasoline.
    The most compelling sound bite argument I have been able to make is that you can pay for a Leaf in 5 years with the money you save on gas - the exact length of the typical car loan.
    It doesn't work for the Volt.

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#11 TEG, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
    In the used car market, people sometimes ponder "how many miles on the engine?". In the "old days", the car's odometer told you. Now with PHEVs one wonders how much the gas engine got used... Do I need a valve-adjustment? New plugs? Does the Volt tell you anywhere how many "miles" of the cars driving history are attributed to the ICE being used?

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

The <70K used Tesla sales don't follow miles too much.

Generators have Run Hours meters on them

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, and small airplanes tend to have hours of use meters on the engines too.
    But does the Volt generator have a way for potential buyers to see how many hours on the ICE?

13. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

True. ICE is like your vacation home - EV is the primary car.

Funny thing is in the gm-volt forum they have all convinced themselfs that Leaf is impracticle and will be a failure. May be when it is time for them to get another car in 3 years, they will re-evaluate.

14. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Good article. Interesting info about the noise levels and frequencies in the Leaf.

15. smorgasbord

How (in)significant is that omission?

And, is CO2 the only important pollution metric?

16. smorgasbord

It doesn't work for the Leaf at those levels, either:

($5000/year / $4/gal) * 20mpg = 25,000 miles a year. Assuming you drive every day, that's over 68 miles/day, which is right at the Leaf's range. And, these numbers are all conservative (factor in gas at $3.60/gallon and their current car at 25 mpg and only commuting and they're driving over 133 miles/day. That's not do-able in a Leaf unless you're re-charging at work.

17. richkae

richkae VIN587

I shouldn't have said several, its only a few. But the numbers do work out.
    In Canada, gas is closer to $5 a gallon.
    One specific example commutes 30+ miles each way, drives an inefficient vehicle now and will be able to charge at work.

18. richkae

richkae VIN587

By complete coincidence, I talked to another friend today - a real estate agent who drives 40000+ miles per year and spends upwards of $7500 per year on gas.
    He looked at the Volt and decided it was completely useless for him, because on a typical driving day ( 150+ miles ) he would use up the battery immediately and then be burning gas ( and not terribly efficiently in the Volt either ).
    Neither the Volt or the Leaf is useful to him - I told him the details about the Model S and he is very excited about it.