TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Leak from pano?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by n33d45p33d, Oct 1, 2015.

1. n33d45p33d

n33d45p33d Member

Hey guys, every time there is heavy rain and my MS is parked the next time I get into the car and drive off water falls on me from the pano roof. Has happened twice and the third time I checked before driving off and cleaned it before it fell on me!

Does anyone have this issue?

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Funny thing, I was just searching the forums for this exact thing (I've read about it, but can't remember what the fix is).

First time it happened to me today, sigh yet another SvC visit....

3. blanche

blanche Member

4. n33d45p33d

n33d45p33d Member

Luckily I haven't had to go to the service center other than when they installed the center console. Guess I'll give them a ring.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

5. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

The second day of owning my Tesla (I got home close to midnight), I sprayed it down to check for a pano leak and door seals. Sad that we have to do this, but its common in many cars. One would hope that someday, this will be put into the delivery inspection so they can spray down the car and check before giving you the keys.

6. stevem

stevem Member

I had mine leak. There was a point where it was pretty annoying. Not any more than a few drops. But it was there. The receipt says:

Concern: Customer states: vehicle panoramic roof leaks after it rains. Notices more of a leak
    from driver side, however leaks on passenger side and center as well
    Pay Type: Warranty
    Corrections: Panoramic Roof General Diagnosis
    Verified concern, performed evaluation of water ingress at pano roof assembly. located
    and determined source of water ingress at mating points for front pano roof. Applied
    sealant to affected areas and allowed sealant to cure. Performed water testing procedures
    and verified that water ingress is no longer present after repair at this time

I noticed the gasket coming apart from the car. Before I went and after I got the car back it was glued down. I just went out and looked and it's not glued down any more. I wonder if I'll get more leaks.

IMG_5254.JPG

7. Scoper

Scoper Member

Yes, I had the EXACT same thing happen to me last week after driving during a period of moderately heavy rain. I didn't get dripped on while it was raining; I got home and parked in the garage for an hour or so. It was after I had left the garage and went on my way that three drops of water hit me right in the face, right in front of my left eye. That same corner in the post above was slightly wet, just below stevem's finger. But the gasket he's pointing at was not floating at all.

Called the service center and wouldn't you know it, they responded like they had never heard of this happening and asked stupid questions like "was it parked on an incline?" "Did you open the sunroof when it was raining?" Sheesh. They finally had us come in, eyeballed it for a minute, and then told us to make a service appointment so they could address if anything needed to be sealed.

8. Jhall118

Jhall118 Member

Good to hear I am not alone. I just scheduled my THIRD visit for this issue. I live in Seattle, so this is kind of a big deal. My P85D was built early January of 2015.

I get that cars have problems, and I'm not upset about it. I would take a face full of water every morning over driving anything else.

HOWEVER. When you watch the video of a Tesla being made, you have to wonder how this gets missed. They do a pretty robust water test, and everything is inspected right?

9. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

I confirm another December 2014 build leaked also. SC Fixed it by applying sealant somewhere.

10. Joe Harsanyi

Joe Harsanyi Member

I have the same issue, that has been addressed once by the Rockville SC. It isn't fixed. It appears to be more likely to happen if I have opened to vent position and then closed it, as opposed to opening the roof wide and then closing. It just doesn't seem to seal quite right 100% of the time.

On my list for my next SC visit.

11. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

My dad's Dec 14 P85D leaks (my July does not). He took it to service and they didn't fix it. Now I need to take and push them to find the problem. My dad is the biggest Tesla fan but if they don't fix it - he will kick it to the curb (back of his garage) and it will never get driven again. Not to mention he will no longer be a Tesla fan.

12. Joe Harsanyi

Joe Harsanyi Member

BTW, my car sits in a garage most of the time, and I tend to avoid driving it in bad weather, so I suspect I would be in a real bind if the circumstances were different and the car was in the elements more often. My situation allows me to reluctantly tolerate the problem until my next conveniently scheduled visit to the SC.

But as you suggest, I feel like this is a significant brand quality issue that should merit high level attention from Tesla.

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Just for perspective for anyone else reading through this thread, my 2013 that I've owned for 9 months and 10k miles has no leaks from the pano.