Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Leak - Not Accurate] Tesla Launches Supercharger Membership for Non-Tesla Vehicles at $0.99/month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Knowing Tesla, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla did minimal internal testing before rolling out the program to the public for testing.
Neither would I. Not only is this how Tesla rolls, it is one of the advantages of being a first mover and desirable charging network. It shifts the onus of testing and resolving compatibility issues from the provider to the consumer (in this case, the automakers). You may not think that's fair, but that's the reality when you're not fighting to gain share against the competition. You could make the argument that Tesla should at least be minimally involved in order to retain share, but like I said, that's just now how Tesla rolls. Plus, I don't think maintaining share (or gaining share from non-Tesla EVs) is a priority for them at the moment anyway. They could probably take it or leave it. That will probably change in the future, but for now, I don't see them putting much energy into this effort themselves. They probably figure the end consumers will demand it from the non-Tesla automakers.

Also, I don't know what you mean when you said "Honda couldn't have tested for compatibility, at least during the pilot program". The pilot program is right now. Tesla even called it the "Non-Tesla Supercharger Pilot" (Non-Tesla Supercharger Pilot)

You left out a few critical works from you snip. The entire snip was "Why does the fact that the Honda E came out before Tesla opened the Supercharger to non-Tesla vehicles imply that Honda couldn't have tested for compatibility, at least during the pilot program?"

You said:
  1. Honda couldn't possibly have tested for compatibility because the Honda E came out before Tesla opened the Supercharger to non-Tesla vehicles.
In other words, that part of the snip that you did quote was basically quoting you, so I'm not sure why you don't know what it means, since it was you that said it.

I was basically asking: Why does it matter that the Honda E came out before Tesla opened the Supercharger network to non-Tesla vehicles? They have the opportunity to test it right now, during the pilot.