Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Leak - Not Accurate] Tesla Launches Supercharger Membership for Non-Tesla Vehicles at $0.99/month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
40 minute time limit for all vehicles when Supercharger is at maximum capacity

Problem solved
In some situations, a policy like that could prevent someone from making it to their destination or to the next charging station. Rather than prevent them from charging, I would rather see a modest, time-based fee that would discourage, but not prevent, long charging sessions.

Except the grid really can’t handle even 20% total EV penetration.
My house is about 150 years old. When it was built, the US grid couldn't have handled one car. I doubt its current 200 amp service is anything like its first panel, either. The grid will adapt and be upgraded. The same is true of electric vehicle charging sites, both in locations and in stall counts.

My house is about 150 years old. When it was built, the US grid couldn't have handled one car. I doubt its current 200 amp service is anything like its first panel, either. The grid will adapt and be upgraded. The same is true of electric vehicle charging sites, both in locations and in stall counts.
Who’s paying for that?

Let’s say that cost isn’t a factor there, you already have brown outs in CA due to generation and transmission ability.

What happens when you quadruple the amount of electric cars calling on the grid to provide power it doesn’t have?

• Funny
Reactions: Amudar and Rocky_H
The extreme beyond the holiday scenario would be the the once-in-a-lifetime scenario, like the 2017 total eclipse, where everyone in the country is trying to leave at the same time from the same place. Sure, way fewer Tesla's then, but way fewer superchargers as well. I don't seem them ever solving this, nor attempting to. Huge traffic jams from all cars, but huge lines at the superchargers as well. So glad I didn't bring the then-new Tesla on that trip...

View attachment 842621

Twice in a lifetime I hope!
Screenshot_20220819-112140_Chrome.jpg

In your photo I was in the redline to Chattanooga heading back to Texas, so the next one will be in my backyard!

In some situations, a policy like that could prevent someone from making it to their destination or to the next charging station. Rather than prevent them from charging, I would rather see a modest, time-based fee that would discourage, but not prevent, long charging sessions.
If 40 minutes aren't enough, the vehicle can go to the back of the line and wait for another 40 minutes session.

As I mentioned before, this is only when the Supercharger is at maximum capacity.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
If 40 minutes aren't enough, the vehicle can go to the back of the line and wait for another 40 minutes session.

As I mentioned before, this is only when the Supercharger is at maximum capacity.
I could see that Applying to non-Tesla cars maybe but I think better is to surcharge past 30 mins for non-Tesla at half the idling rate in addition to the per kWh.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mockingbird
Who’s paying for that?

Let’s say that cost isn’t a factor there, you already have brown outs in CA due to generation and transmission ability.

What happens when you quadruple the amount of electric cars calling on the grid to provide power it doesn’t have?
Oh wow, you were serious! I thought you were just being sarcastic!

Better go study up on how the grid actually works and how and when EVs will use it.

Net is: it's already not an EV problem, and EVs are only going to help the situation.

Oh wow, you were serious! I thought you were just being sarcastic!

Better go study up on how the grid actually works and how and when EVs will use it.

Net is: it's already not an EV problem, and EVs are only going to help the situation.
More along the lines of a lot of people live in older houses with what would today be considered substandard wiring and panels (FPE) — It sounds like you’ve invested in upgrading your home power distribution but someone who already can’t afford an electric car certainly wouldn’t be able to foot the bill to upgrade their panel and wiring without an incentive.

This is what the federal subsidy money should be going to rather than into the pockets of the auto makers, many of who have already raised prices in anticipation of the handout given to them by the Congress critters.

Reactions: Amudar
The extreme beyond the holiday scenario would be the the once-in-a-lifetime scenario, like the 2017 total eclipse, where everyone in the country is trying to leave at the same time from the same place. Sure, way fewer Tesla's then, but way fewer superchargers as well. I don't seem them ever solving this, nor attempting to. Huge traffic jams from all cars, but huge lines at the superchargers as well. So glad I didn't bring the then-new Tesla on that trip...
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that once-in-a-lifetime solar eclipse is going to repeat itself in April 2024, from Texas to Maine. Carbondale, Illinois is at the intersection of the 2017 and 2024 paths of totality.

I was in Marshall, Missouri during 2017 driving a Murano rental out of Kansas City airport. Don't plan on driving my own car for the 2024 event.

More along the lines of a lot of people live in older houses with what would today be considered substandard wiring and panels (FPE) — It sounds like you’ve invested in upgrading your home power distribution but someone who already can’t afford an electric car certainly wouldn’t be able to foot the bill to upgrade their panel and wiring without an incentive.

This is what the federal subsidy money should be going to rather than into the pockets of the auto makers, many of who have already raised prices in anticipation of the handout given to them by the Congress critters.
If you're talking about individual or even neighborhood issues, then I'm with you. I thought we were talking about the Grid (capital G) though.

These subsidies go to people who already can afford these vehicles without subsidies. Put grants into low income and rural communities. The areas of Kentucky that flooded are mostly poor rural areas. Some Homes don't have indoor plumbing let alone A/C and heat their Homes with wood burning stoves in winter because they can't afford to turn up the thermostat. There are areas all over the country that are like this. This is where this money should be going. Where are the Green jobs in Coal country to replace the Coal Natural gas and Oil jobs?

These subsidies go to people who already can afford these vehicles without subsidies. Put grants into low income and rural communities. The areas of Kentucky that flooded are mostly poor rural areas. Some Homes don't have indoor plumbing let alone A/C and heat their Homes with wood burning stoves in winter because they can't afford to turn up the thermostat. There are areas all over the country that are like this. This is where this money should be going. Where are the Green jobs in Coal country to replace the Coal Natural gas and Oil jobs?
This is eerily similar to *Learn to build solar panels*. Lol.

I don’t know what’s so hard to understand about *If you build it they will come*. The BEV life isn’t for everyone because the infrastructure is woefully underdeveloped in rural areas and exurbs.

Some people just want to get in their car and not think about if there’s head winds, cross winds or if they’ll be able to close a sector with the SoC% they’re at.

Reactions: Big Earl
Eventually we will have to figure out how to charge vehicles that come into large disaster areas to rescue people and provide supplies and rebuild areas. I can guarantee there are no electric vehicles going into these areas and bringing supplies. Not even electric trucks. Would anyone here tow a trailer with supplies in it with their Tesla into a large disaster area.

Eventually we will have to figure out how to charge vehicles that come into large disaster areas to rescue people and provide supplies and rebuild areas. I can guarantee there are no electric vehicles going into these areas and bringing supplies. Not even electric trucks. Would anyone here tow a trailer with supplies in it with their Tesla into a large disaster area.
Maybe with a battery trailer.

Reactions: DrGriz