Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaked Model 3 specs 0-60 in under 4 sec and 300+ mile range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This could be pretty amazing If all those specs are true...I also think they will talk about the supercharging network and its plans to expand it at a faster rate. Might even talk about the service locations as well. I can be hopeful right? lol

Based on the wait but why blog post, Randy Carlson of Seeking Alpha thought experiment and some details we already know the specs sound about right. We know from Tesla historically that options pricing really push sales figures up quickly so the pricing doesn't surprise me in the least.

As for the design, we'll see but I don't think Tesla will disappoint.

Tomorrow we get to see the wizard hiding behind the curtains.

image.jpeg

Elon always said Tesla's cars should be a better car than their ICE counterpart, so let's compare these top model specs to the competition:

- MB C63 AMG sedan: 0-60 in 4.0 sec, ±350 miles range, ±65k
- BMW M3: 0-60 in 4.1 sec, ±320 miles range, ±64k

So the top end should be in that ball park.

From that electrek article...

a battery pack that were estimating in the ~80kWh range will take the Model 3 to over 300 miles in range. That’s at highway speeds and not hyper-miling at 30mph which means you can travel almost 5 hours between charging and almost complete the 364 miles between the Tesla design studio in Hawthorne and its HQ in Palo Alto.

80 kWh will not get 300 miles. Usable capacity will be around 75 kWh will need an efficiency of 4 miles/kWh - very difficult at highway speeds.

This could be pretty amazing If all those specs are true...I also think they will talk about the supercharging network and its plans to expand it at a faster rate. Might even talk about the service locations as well. I can be hopeful right? lol

I predict we'll see 3 things tomorrow...

- Rough Model 3 specs (obviously)
- New 100kWh S/X and Gen II Model S
- 2017 supercharger map

pins and needles :)

From that electrek article...

80 kWh will not get 300 miles. Usable capacity will be around 75 kWh will need an efficiency of 4 miles/kWh - very difficult at highway speeds.

For reference, the i3 is rated at 0.3kWh/mi highway _wall to wheel_. At 90% efficiency, that'd be 0.27kWh/mi battery to wheel. Since the EPA highway rating test speeds are low, so there's more bias to weight, and I would doubt that the Model 3 weight will be very low.

But note that in good conditions, my Gen 1 Volt (curb weight 37nn lbs) with about 10.5kWh usable, can comfortably do 42 miles on a highway drive. So, 0.25kWh/mi highway battery-to-wheel is not totally out there.

Last edited:
My Volt can do that, but probably only at 55mph not 65mph. Weight matters. (I'll still swap for your Model S lol!)

I want to believe those numbers are true. I don't. But I want to. Well, it definitely doesn't change my plan to go stand in line tomorrow morning. ;)

It's amazing that more hasn't leaked yet. They must have a crucifixion order on at Tesla or something.