Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking 3-way valve

dropd

Apr 12, 2016
PA
Has anyone with a leak like this had the service center claim that BOTH the 3-way and 4-way valves needed replacement? That's my current situation. It seems unlikely, and Tesla wants $700 to replace both of the valves (on my Model X). I've reached out to ask them to clarify/explain before approving the estimate but it seems odd that both would be at fault at the same time.

dark cloud

Apr 14, 2018
BC
Has anyone with a leak like this had the service center claim that BOTH the 3-way and 4-way valves needed replacement? That's my current situation. It seems unlikely, and Tesla wants $700 to replace both of the valves (on my Model X). I've reached out to ask them to clarify/explain before approving the estimate but it seems odd that both would be at fault at the same time.
Yes, I have read at least one person where this happened.
I recall another diy'er decided to just replace the other when one of them was leaking, as one might as well if one is in there getting ones hands dirty topping up the coolant for another $100 or so for the valve off the top of my head, which of course saves doing it down the road at some point, and having it go at an inconvenient time.

I believe they have your best interests as a priority, and they are not just trying to grab another few hundred unnecessarily.

Have you pulled out your trunk to see if both of the valves are leaking? It’s pretty easy and quick. Took me like 5 minutes to get it all out. The 3 way on mine is fine and it’s just the 4 way that has any moisture on it at all. You can tell quickly where the blue juice is coming from. I know X and s are different cars. But they’re only chafing me $197 for the valve and coolant flush. $700 seems high. I think the parts are the same on the two iirc.

All my 3-way and 4-way valves were replaced under warranty, one failing after another one, and one of the replaced valves failed last year too.

Now I opened my frunk because of a ground issue and found that the middle 3 way valve is having a small leak. I'm thinking of replacing it myself. Replacing the valve is no concern for me, but the bleeding of the air is. You simply disconnect and reconnect the 12V battery for that ? My 12V battery is pretty hard to access like Scarface.

All my 3-way and 4-way valves were replaced under warranty, one failing after another one, and one of the replaced valves failed last year too.

Now I opened my frunk because of a ground issue and found that the middle 3 way valve is having a small leak. I'm thinking of replacing it myself. Replacing the valve is no concern for me, but the bleeding of the air is. You simply disconnect and reconnect the 12V battery for that ? My 12V battery is pretty hard to access like Scarface.
When you reconnect the 12V battery the pumps and valves go through a cycle that bleeds the air out. Just keep an eye on the coolant reservoir while it's doing that as the level will drop a bit. I filled mine to max before re-connecting the 12V battery and it went down to about halfway after the bleed cycle. Top it off again and you should be good.

Keep in mind that disconnecting the 12V negative terminal before doing this is important as well. The pumps will run sometimes even when the car is parked, which would quickly make a mess if you had the wrong hose disconnected.

Has anyone had their 3 way or 4 way valves replaced under warranty other than Kensiko ? I have a 2020 Model S with 52,000 miles that needs the 3 way valve replaced and Tesla SC wants $175 for General Diagnosis, $148.75 to remove and replace, $55 for the 3-way valve. They say it's not covered by the battery or drive train warranty. It seems to me that Tesla needs to use better quality valves.

Has anyone had their 3 way or 4 way valves replaced under warranty other than Kensiko ? I have a 2020 Model S with 52,000 miles that needs the 3 way valve replaced and Tesla SC wants $175 for General Diagnosis, $148.75 to remove and replace, $55 for the 3-way valve. They say it's not covered by the battery or drive train warranty. It seems to me that Tesla needs to use better quality valves.
It’s not part of the battery or drive train. If you remove your basin you can clearly see both the 3 way upper right and 4 way lower left. They’ll slowly drip when leaking. I spent 4 minutes doing this and just asked them to replace the 3 way. Total with tax was $185.23 out the door. The majority of the price is the coolant flush they perform after. 1 gallon is $40 alone.

If you have previously told them about the issue it should be covered. If not it’s a cheap and quick fix.

dark cloud

Apr 14, 2018
BC
One piece of anecdotal evidence, to counteract yours, My whole cooling system, including the valves, are all original in my 7.5 year old 200,000 km model S.

I assume there was there a visible leak on yours? Is that why you brought it to service for them to diagnose it?

One piece of anecdotal evidence, to counteract yours, My whole cooling system, including the valves, are all original in my 7.5 year old 200,000 km model S.

I assume there was there a visible leak on yours? Is that why you brought it to service for them to diagnose it?
I love hearing this! Mine had 90k on the odo when it failed. But it was such a slow leak it could have gone years before it needed to be replaced. (Or so they said)

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC