Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking (and struggling to open) pano roof on 2015 P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I opened my panoroof the other day for the first time since I bought the car a few months ago. Since then it leaks but only when driving. My inner seal is deteriorating although the odd thing is that it looks worse on the drive side, the leak is only happening from the passenger side.

zj35av2.jpg

0iK9Os4.jpg

sFNN7bA.jpg

IcjrsPr.jpg

My wife noticed she was having drops fall on her when I accelerated but not when standing still or at a constant speed. It doesn't seem to leak at all in my driveway as I'm not waking up to wetness and I'm in Florida where it rains all the time.

My questions are, has anyone replaced that seal? Is it a custom seal that has to come from Tesla or are those standard seals from any auto parts store? What kind of glue is that?

How fast should the drains drain? I poured a cup of water in there and it went down but I have no idea how quickly it usually drains. Where does it drain to? If I blast the drain with compressed air I want to look at what comes out.

As an aside, sometimes the roof doesn't want to open. If I push the button to open it, I hear the motor trying to open it but it kinda gets stuck. If I push up on it just as the motor engages then it'll open and can move back and forth and close. It just struggles to open. I'm not sure if this is related to the leak or just coincidence but does anyone have experience with that issue? I'm thinking it might be prudent to clean up all the track area and regrease it but I don't know what to clean it with or what kind of grease I'd use so I just left it for now.

Research my friend... :)

My questions are, has anyone replaced that seal? Is it a custom seal that has to come from Tesla or are those standard seals from any auto parts store?

Yes, many owners have replaced this - Here's a thread. Replacing Panoramic Roof Rubber Seal

As an aside, sometimes the roof doesn't want to open. If I push the button to open it, I hear the motor trying to open it but it kinda gets stuck.

The roof requires lubrication, which used to be part of the annual maintenance. This is now available as an a la carte service.

Here's a DIY link - Sunroof lubricant?

Research my friend... :)

Yes, many owners have replaced this - Here's a thread. Replacing Panoramic Roof Rubber Seal

The roof requires lubrication, which used to be part of the annual maintenance. This is now available as an a la carte service.

Here's a DIY link - Sunroof lubricant?

I appreciate you taking the time to answer but when I asked if anyone had fixed this I didn't mean has anyone taken it into the SC to have it fixed which is what the many owners in your first threat have done. If any of them had done it themselves they didn't share any information about the seals themselves.

The lubrication link is helpful. My roof doesn't rattle or make noises so I wouldn't have searched for that.

Thanks

Reactions: VaztheDad