TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Leaking boot

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by GrumpyManUK, Sep 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GrumpyManUK

GrumpyManUK Member

The weather has been particularly miserable today and I’m pleased I purchased the all-weather mat for the boot.

I opened it later this morning to find that rain water had leaked through the seal - top centre!

(FYI I did not see any of the water leak through once I actually opened the boot.)

I do wonder if the boot is misaligned as the seal quality and position looks fine.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  2. ThrustSSC

ThrustSSC Member

Was that before you opened the boot, or as you opened the boot?

3. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Did you check underside of boot lid for signs of water?

4. Feathermerchan

The model 3 is known for dumping water into the boot as you open it. The water runs off the boot lid down the glass then over the gasket into the boot.
    I've never had any signs of leakage.

5. GrumpyManUK

GrumpyManUK Member

Before as I failed to see the water run down after I had opened it - I'm aware of the issue of water getting in as you open the boot.

It's worth checking again though just to to be sure. Also, the panel gap of the left of the boot is wider than that of the right side panel gap.

6. Feathermerchan

Get a bigger hammer.....

• Like x 1
  7. TopGeared

TopGeared Member

I picked up my car yesterday and spotted the inside of the boot was wet. This was dismissed by the handover chap as having happened during a wash, but I wasn’t convinced.

Anyway it was raining all the way home and all night. I checked the boot this morning and sure enough the boot was wet again.

On closer inspection, the boot rubber seal was very close the the seal on the back window on my car. I moved the seal to check underneath and felt a little clunk. It seems the boot seal wasn’t seated properly around the opening. I’ve popped it back and it looks more uniform now with a consistent gap between the boot seal and window seal. It’s raining again so I’ll check it in a bit.

I’ve also noticed now that I’ve seated the seal better that there is a little bit of resistance when closing the boot, so it now needs a bit more of a push on closing.

• Like x 1