Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking CV Axle Seal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I have a service appt in 2 weeks for something else, but another post on here prompted me to take a look at my rear motor. Looks like either the boot or the axle seal on the driver's side into the rear motor is leaking, added it to my appointment and included this picture.

2020-08-05 (1).jpg

Have you experienced any clicking noises from the axles when accelerating from a stop and/or turning at slow speeds? I'm sure you're aware of the common clicking issues and there are mentions here about possible CV joint grease issues.

Have you experienced any clicking noises from the axles when accelerating from a stop and/or turning at slow speeds? I'm sure you're aware of the common clicking issues and there are mentions here about possible CV joint grease issues.

Yeah, I've seen you in those threads. I had a rapid clicking if I was going like 10mph and went into regen, almost sounded like running over some dry leaves, but was only audible without music on, windows down and something near the car to reflect the sound back. I torqued the outside axle nuts myself a while ago, which didn't fix it but It seems to have disappeared on its own and I can't hear it anymore.

I checked all the other sides where the axles go into the differential as best I could and can't really see any residue except for the rear driver's side. Looks like it might be the axle seal into the diff and not the boot.

So I got the car back a couple days ago. Turns out the passenger side axle seal was the one leaking, not the drivers side that I took a picture of.

They showed me the car while on the lift, and the drivers side looked kinda like some sort of clear fluid film with dirt on it, I guess assembly grease? Anyway they said that it wasn't leaking but the passenger side was and they replaced that (and it looked brand new on that side).