Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking roof!? Serious concerns about Tesla waterproofing...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, every time I make up mind to place an order, yet another serious defect suddenly pops up in my news feed. :eek: Has anyone else seen this video about a 5 day old M3 with water leaking through and into the cabin?

This kind of thing just shouldn't be happening on a "mass market" vehicle that costs in excess of £50k. I think for me, this is the final nail in the coffin and I'll wait another year to see if production matures. :(

So, every time I make up mind to place an order, yet another serious defect suddenly pops up in my news feed. :eek: Has anyone else seen this video about a 5 day old M3 with water leaking through and into the cabin?

This kind of thing just shouldn't be happening on a "mass market" vehicle that costs in excess of £50k. I think for me, this is the final nail in the coffin and I'll wait another year to see if production matures. :(

If you order now you may just get it next year!

It would be dreadful to have this happen but ...

The kid's got more idea ... put a towel down! Don't keep making it drip on to the exposed console! (and yes, the screen gets warm let's just not imply this is another fault even though you know it's ok because we see it later in the video ... and don't keep poking at the console covers to make them look like they don't work properly when in fact you just need to touch them lightly ... and that pained face when describing the drips on the "chairs" (the rest of the English speaking world calls them seats). Sorry, but the approach used in this video makes me wonder about the motivation of its maker.

There are multiple reports of:
  • leaks into the boot from several points of entry.
  • leaks into the boot lid
  • lights (front and rear) with condensation and sometimes filled with water
  • the a pillar cameras suffering from condensation
  • auto windscreen wipers that are still adequate at best after software updates
  • a wiring connector on the RHD cars that gets wet and shorts out
  • driving through puddles too fast rips off the rear aero panel.
I can see why one might be concerned about the design/build of the M3 in regards to water but not sure this one off should be the thing to tip you over the edge when there are so many more fun water related issues you are far more likely to see :)

You guys .. wow .. sometimes .. there are no shortage of similar problems with every vehicle known to ever exist, but there's not some kind of widespread roof leaks just based on one report, nobody has ever built every vehicle they produce perfectly ..

Folks, ya gotta stop making decisions based on a couple YouTube videos and forum fever or you'll never enjoy anything .. nothing is perfect .. any car can be a lemon .. there are no guarantees in life, etc, etc.

I mean, Ford is considered about the least reliable brand there is and I've owned them all my life and have never (knocking on wood) had any kind of serious issue .. ever .. dozens of them .. but you jump on a forum and you would think every one rolling out of the factory was a lemon.

Last edited:
You guys .. wow .. sometimes .. there are no shortage of similar problems with every vehicle known to ever exist, but there's not some kind of widespread roof leaks just based on one report, nobody has ever built every vehicle they produce perfectly ..

Folks, ya gotta stop making decisions based on a couple YouTube videos and forum fever or you'll never enjoy anything .. nothing is perfect .. any car can be a lemon .. there are no guarantees in life, etc, etc.

I mean, Ford is considered about the least reliable brand there is and I've owned them all my life and have never (knocking on wood) had any kind of serious issue .. ever .. dozens of them .. but you jump on a forum and you would think every one rolling out of the factory was a lemon.

Well, I'm not about to put down £50k on a Ford, so there's that...

I hear you, but the issue isn't about this being a one-off, it's about a number of water related issues affecting a much larger sampling of M3's - water ingress into a major component which causes a shutdown, poorly aligned windscreen seals, condensation in taillights, water in the trunk... this all points to a larger QA issue regarding the production of M3s.

Just to be clear, I absolutely love Tesla and have made up my mind that my next car will be a Tesla... but, these recent developments which extend beyond a single YouTube video, mean I will be delaying a purchase until such time production has been improved.

Tesla build quality is really, really, really awful. And their service is pants.

I had a terrible, terrible experience with my car - the glove box light didn’t work. Have you any idea how terrible this is?

And Tesla made me stay in at home while a Ranger came to me to fix it. Really awful service. I much prefer driving my car miles to leave it at a garage multiple times.

10k miles in six months and no complaints here!

Well, I'm not about to put down £50k on a Ford, so there's that...

My point was .. even Ford makes good cars ..

I hear you, but the issue isn't about this being a one-off, it's about a number of water related issues affecting a much larger sampling of M3's - water ingress into a major component which causes a shutdown, poorly aligned windscreen seals, condensation in taillights, water in the trunk... this all points to a larger QA issue regarding the production of M3s.

What's the number of water related issues? See my point here .. only Tesla knows .. a few loud videos on YouTube or Twitter posts isn't usable data .. what you didn't see was the other hundreds of thousands of posts and videos of people that have trouble free cars ..

I'm not saying there aren't problems, there are with any car, I'm just saying that there isn't a need for hysteria surrounding posts titled like "Leaking Roof!? Serious concerns about Tesla waterproofing".

Last edited:
Reactions: Jez_GB
Our roof leaks (air but not noticed any water although car can mist up significantly when empty and supercharging in damp conditions) - scheduled to be removed and resealed. Straight away SC said it was the sealant. I got the impression that it was not the first he had seen...

So if it leaks, it can be fixed, just may take some time - just over 5 months and counting for us and still not sorted all the issues - they twice postponed SC visits by over a month. The problem is not the quality so much, its how long some things can take to rectify.

This is a feature for the UK only, in car swimming pool!

If you get this happens to anyone, just return the car and ask for a refund or a replacement, I think its unlikely to be a gradual thing and its either broke or it isn't so you should know within the first few weeks of rain.