Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking roof!? Serious concerns about Tesla waterproofing...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next frosty day, without opening anything, run full pre condition then in initial stages of defrost, go out in the cold and examine the roof for areas venting warm air and defrosting channels in the glass.

I found ours by accident and just so had a thermal imaging camera to prove it.

What the eye cannot normally see - what an IR camera tells us on a cold morning

This made me think :confused: Is the water condensing on the glass roof and then dripping down rather than an actual leak?

I'm not looking forward to the whole process to be honest. At the moment they have refused to repair it as it passed their test . I really want the model 3 but don't really know where to go with it from here.

Oh if they are claiming it doesn't exist, I suggest try to replicate the issue, if you can replicate the issue then document it for evidence and contact the service manager if thats possible.

Oh if they are claiming it doesn't exist, I suggest try to replicate the issue, if you can replicate the issue then document it for evidence and contact the service manager if thats possible.

This is what I'm thinking at the moment , but I will be forfeiting the 7 day return period so I'm a bit stuck on what to do.

I would have the model 3 back in a heartbeat if they could explain the reason for the water, instead of denying.

They are reviewing more footage atm so will hopefully have some more information by the end of today.

Reactions: Blueskye
Well, I'm not about to put down £50k on a Ford, so there's that...

I hear you, but the issue isn't about this being a one-off, it's about a number of water related issues affecting a much larger sampling of M3's - water ingress into a major component which causes a shutdown, poorly aligned windscreen seals, condensation in taillights, water in the trunk... this all points to a larger QA issue regarding the production of M3s.

Just to be clear, I absolutely love Tesla and have made up my mind that my next car will be a Tesla... but, these recent developments which extend beyond a single YouTube video, mean I will be delaying a purchase until such time production has been improved.

I bet you have Coronavirus as well.

And I wouldn’t buy any other car until all other manufacturers fix all their problems as well. I am pretty sure the terms Friday afternoon car and lemon car existed before Tesla ever existed.

This is what I'm thinking at the moment , but I will be forfeiting the 7 day return period so I'm a bit stuck on what to do.

I would have the model 3 back in a heartbeat if they could explain the reason for the water, instead of denying.

They are reviewing more footage atm so will hopefully have some more information by the end of today.

of course if you can get them to accept the 7 day return policy that’s fine and is go with that but you’d forfeit being able to buy another one door at least 6 months I believe

I bet you have Coronavirus as well.

And I wouldn’t buy any other car until all other manufacturers fix all their problems as well. I am pretty sure the terms Friday afternoon car and lemon car existed before Tesla ever existed.

Wow, that's some clever sarcasm right there. :rolleyes:

Thankfully, others realise I'm not basing my decision on a single YouTube video, but a series of issues that affect multiple cars. Thanks for your comments though, I'm sure you felt incredibly clever typing it.

Reactions: Keeper
It would be dreadful to have this happen but ...

The kid's got more idea ... put a towel down! Don't keep making it drip on to the exposed console! (and yes, the screen gets warm let's just not imply this is another fault even though you know it's ok because we see it later in the video ... and don't keep poking at the console covers to make them look like they don't work properly when in fact you just need to touch them lightly ... and that pained face when describing the drips on the "chairs" (the rest of the English speaking world calls them seats). Sorry, but the approach used in this video makes me wonder about the motivation of its maker.
I get what you mean... BUT... he had the car for 4 days... I just think he is very very disappointed... (I think he was pissed when doing the console or that’s the impression I got..)

although the seats fully covered in water.... that was a bit much lol

Reactions: JustUK

Keep us updated!

Reactions: JustUK
Hey Man!

The video here is of my Tesla =( . Thanks for posting! Just wanted to update the situation. The service centre rang to day asking for me to accept returns. So went through the work carried out and after they ran tests they decided there was no faults and won't be repairing the vehicle...

I really don't know what to do, i really want a model 3 but i won't accept it back unless they fix the issue. I handed to the service station on day 5 of ownership. Now it is around day 10 or so, so i'm over the return period and even if they do refund the car i will be without a vehicle for at least 2 months until the new one is made.

I will be making an update video, i have recorder everything so far. Customer service wasn't the best either, felt like i was being accused of lying to them. Have sent them extensive footage in the hope they look into it further.

Anyone else had this issue? What should i do?

Jordan
Your video shows an incredible amount of water in the vehicle, which means it shouldn't be hard to find that leak. You're saying the service center is stating there is nothing wrong? Something doesn't sound right with this story.

After having been on these forums for a while, I’d seriously considered whether an Audi E-Tron 50 might give me a more reliable German engineered and cheaper option.

And then I read the Audi E-Tron posts and watched some YouTube videos.

I’m sticking with my Tesla order.
Exactly. At least we are starting with a fresh EV design and cutting edge tech and not some reverse engineered chunk that still asks for an oil service after 18000 miles...

Your video shows an incredible amount of water in the vehicle, which means it shouldn't be hard to find that leak. You're saying the service center is stating there is nothing wrong? Something doesn't sound right with this story.

Yep complete denial. Even after more footage was sent to them clearly showing the water. Now the service centre are ignoring my calls and not calling back , I was expecting the area manager to call today but they never did. I keep getting fobbed off. I still have a loaner Tesla but I would prefer to have my car back.

I understand their testing can't find it, maybe that's an issue, they need better tests ?

Funny enough whilst I was in the service centre the tesla employee next to me was on the phone to a customer discussing the exact same problems.

Maybe they are just swamped at the service centre die to the recent storms and testing isn't being done as thoroughly or maybe it's fixed itself, I doubt it.

Today I spent a lot of my day going through the sentry footage from that morning it happened. There was extremely heavy rain for aroun 20-30 mins, the car was under a large tree so water continued to fall on the car for the next hour or so and then extremely strong winds for around 30 mins.

Maybe it was the perfect storm to cause water to leak and they are unable to recreate.

To be honest I'm more annoyed about the way they are handling it and the lack of care or empathy. It was a dream of mine to own a Tesla I'm a huge fan, I've never owned a nice car , in fact most my life I've owned cars valued around £300 , literally scrap vehicles. So when I spent the best part of £40,000 on the model 3 I was shocked at water on the inside on day 4. But I had faith that Tesla would have the best customer care. But so far I can't say that.

I cant express enough how much of a fan I am of the car. But you have to draw a line somewhere. Maybe I am just the unlucky one.

They say don't meet your heroes

Oh, the age of social media.

There are hundreds of thousands of Model 3s on the road, and no, they do not all leak. Honestly, no idea what's going on here...but that is quite the video production for an isolated incident.

Anywho, I hope it gets worked out...but this is not a widespread issue.

Cheers.

Reactions: SimonT and JustUK
FWIW I've had leaks in my house in the recent storms that don't appear with 'normal' rain. If your car was parked somewhere exposed to strong winds, the rain could have been hitting the roof at a more horizontal angle than normal. I would get a squirty bottle and spray water horizontally at the glass roof gap rather than dripping it vertically. And leave a camera rolling inside to record any water coming in.

I get what you mean... BUT... he had the car for 4 days... I just think he is very very disappointed... (I think he was pissed when doing the console or that’s the impression I got..)

although the seats fully covered in water.... that was a bit much lol

I didn't intend to diminish the awfulness of having this happen... hence my first sentence! It must be hugely disappointing, no doubt. I've had my own issues to deal with so I know how it goes!

• Love
Reactions: Blueskye