Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking roof!? Serious concerns about Tesla waterproofing...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At my work (I'm in California), we literally have hundreds of Teslas in my work's EV/PHEV registry (for plug sharing and to contact the driver if we have trouble charging their car or need them to unlock their J1772 handle (on cars have which have a stupid J1772 lock) or they need to move, etc.), I've personally seen numerous Model 3's w/condensation in the taillights. In one case, I was talking to the driver and pointed it out to him.

I've also heard (internally in our EV related Slack channels) of someone's trunk that they found soaked, for some reason. There are numerous TMC threads on this...

What EV do you own and drive?

Odd it is always seems to me that people who run Video channels seems to have all the problems?

Not odd at all. Here is some reality. There are very large numbers of Tesla owners that have never been on TMC, they have issues and do not come here and others have no issues as well. There are plenty of water related issues on the M3, inside the cabin, the trunk, the under carriage pooling issues from early on. Tesla is behind the curve on air and water seals and water mitigation in general. They still have pretty poor design in some of these areas including assembly but it slowly improves. My S lights were an aquarium at times.

• Informative
Reactions: Rooster6655
What EV do you own and drive?
'19 Bolt and a used '13 Leaf. Have been driving a pure BEV (started with a leased '13 Leaf which I no longer have) in late July 2013.

Had been primarily charging at work for free on J1772 from that point until middle of last month when we got our first lockdown order (Order of the Health Officer of the County of Santa Clara - Public Health Department - County of Santa Clara). Now, we're not supposed to go to our office at all.

BTW, glancing thru the list at FINAL UPDATE: Quarterly Plug-In EV Sales Scorecard, at my work, while we don't have every model there covered, of EVs/PHEVs at my work, we have every nameplate there covered except for Subaru, Mitsubishi, Jaguar, Mini, Cadillac.

We did have at least one Mercedes B-Class ED that'd show up but the driver was let go. I don't recall us having any regularly appearing Mercedes EVs/PHEVs at this point. I know someone else w/a B-Class ED but she doesn't regularly drive it to work.

Last edited:
Leaks can happen to any car:

I posted that video for those who like to make it seem these kinds of issues are Tesla specific.

Now, we can't just let Tesla off the hook.But I'm willing to cut them some slack for the time being. BMW has been making cars since the '20s.

My biggest gripe with having a Tesla issue might be how long it takes to get it fixed. I have a Service Center close to me, but others aren't so lucky. This is one area where they really need to improve sooner than later.

To the OP: The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

The OP has not been on here for 2 weeks now, i think this may have been to get the youtube channel going (I hope i'm wrong) although he has been posting regular videos including one to see if a tall person can fit - errr 15 mins for a person to get in and out of a car, i smell a rat. I haven't watched any of the videos and have no intention of doing so